This job is no longer available
Location: Hartford, Conn., or Worcester, Mass.
Summary: New England Business Media, publisher of the Hartford (Conn.) Business Journal and the Worcester (Mass.) Business Journal, is looking for a research professional to lead our important list-generation function. In each edition, the business journals publish a list that ranks some business-related data or facet of business. The position will be based in either location, depending on the preference of the person hired.
Once a year, each of the two publications also publishes a Book of Lists, a compilation of these lists that is a much-in-demand reference volume. The research director conducts surveys via email and phone, gathering data from the business community. In all, this totals more than 100 lists a year.
We’re looking for someone who takes pride in accuracy and has a keen attention to detail, a curiosity and creativity that lead to the development of new lists and a sense of ownership for one of our key revenue generators. While this research is done in a journalistic environment, the “right” background could be a library science degree or related experience and a desire to do research. (NOTE: This is NOT a gateway to a writing job.)
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Work with editors in both locations to update lists that appear in weekly/biweekly print products as well as each publication’s annual Book of Lists.
• Develop an in-depth knowledge of our research database, DataJoe.
• Send out surveys and lists and develop ways to improve the quality of what we produce.
• Develop ideas for new lists.
• Research, produce and project manage annual data publications in Worcester and in Hartford.
• Review the news produced by each office (print and online) to look for new companies to add to our database.
• Update DataJoe portal on WBJournal.com and HartfordBusiness.com with the latest lists.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Previous research experience essential
• Ability to meet deadlines
• Commitment to accuracy
• Attention to detail
• Ability to find an answer, even amid roadblocks
• Good phone skills
• Knowledge of Microsoft Excel
To apply: Please send resume and cover letter to Debbie Amorelli, Human Resources Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org. MENTION GORKANA WHEN APPLYING!