This job is no longer available
Senior Reporter, Yahoo! News (12 month contract)
Yahoo! is the premier digital media company. We deliver your world, your way by creating deeply personal digital experiences that keep more than half a billion people connected to what matters most – across devices and around the globe.
And it's the Yahoos behind the scenes who make this all possible. We are energetic, idea-driven people who are passionate about shaping the future of the digital world. So if this sounds like you, come show us what you've got.
We are looking for a dynamic individual to take up the position at our Central London office in Shaftesbury Avenue.
To be considered for the role, you will need substantial experience in an online news environment and be able to react swiftly to major stories.
You should know how to maximise the potential of user generated content and possess a good understanding of SEO and how to harness social media.
You’ll have a proven understanding of when and where to find the best stories, pictures and videos, and have an extensive contacts book.
• Work closely with the senior editor and news editor to generate engaging and timely content ideas and identify gaps in existing content for the channels on the News site
• Research, write and upload articles, and features on a daily basis, as well as for other areas of News as and when required
• Contribute to daily and weekly brainstorming sessions
• Monitor and report on performance of content produced
• Source required images from pre-approved providers
• Programme key daily content on prominent Yahoo! pages
• Promote the best Yahoo! content across social media accounts
• Source and add videos and other related content to published news articles and features
• Working with content providers (feeds)
• Significant experience in online journalism
• First-class writing skills
• A good nose for finding timely, interesting and relevant content and a strong understanding of identifying story angles
• Experience in writing for SEO
• A good understanding of social media (predominantly Facebook and Twitter)
• Experience using content management systems and basic understanding of Photoshop
• Excellent communication, collaboration and interpersonal skills
• Personality that thrives in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
• Fluent English speaker with clear knowledge of, and interest in, British popular culture
• NCTJ trained candidates strongly preferred
• Degree level education