This job is no longer available
Who is Human Race?
Human Race is the leading mass participation sports company in the UK through a commitment to the active sporting lifestyle by owning, promoting and delivering a portfolio of 55 events across triathlon, cycling, running and open water swimming.
Based in Chessington, Surrey and managed by extremely experienced individuals from the sports industry, Human Race is building a team of industry leading professionals to deliver, create and acquire mass participation events. The event portfolio currently includes a number of the most exciting events in the UK including:
• Toshiba Windsor Triathlon and over 10 other triathlons
• Cycletta; series of seven women only cycling events supported by Victoria Pendleton and British Cycling
• Festival of Sport – Cornwall; the ‘Glastonbury’ of mass participation sports with triathlons, road cycling, beach running, open water swimming all over three days in Cornwall
• Speedo Open Water Swim Series
• Wiggle Dragon Ride – UK’s most prestigious cyclo sportive event with UCI Golden Bike status, 4,500 cyclists
• Etape Cymru – UK’s toughest closed roads cyclo sportive, 2,500 cyclists
• Off Road Series
The Human Race team delivers these events in entirety specialising in commercial expertise, ground breaking marketing and world class event delivery; all with an overriding focus on delivering the best possible experience for participants, sponsors, media and charities.
Human Race is building a series of brands through its portfolio. Either event brands such as Cycletta (designed to become the ‘Race for life’ of cycling) and the Open Water Swim Series, or building Human Race as the umbrella brand across the portfolio. Integral to this development is engagement with the participation community across a range of press and communication platforms, media (traditional, digital and social), partnerships, viral and many other sophisticated marketing and communication techniques.
Purpose of the role - how it adds value
The PR and Communications Manager will be part of a team responsible for the development of the Corporate Identity and the consistent presentation of this identity within the marketplace. Brand development is critical, and all available media platforms will be utilised, ensuring widescale brand awareness across broad media channels, as well as a highly focused approach to ensure our target audiences are reached, and our position within the market meets our long term strategy.
As a member of the Comms and Marketing team, you will ensure that the Human Race (HR) sponsors and media partners are provided with professional and effective service levels. To ensure sponsor and media partner satisfaction, to facilitate beneficial business relationships.
The PR and Communications Manager will be responsible for all PR and Communications for Human Race. To ensure that participant numbers for events are maximised, whilst delivering maximum value for participants, sponsors, media partners and associated event partners.
Main responsibilities of the job
• Working alongside the Marketing manager to devise the Human Race PR & Communications strategy.
• The day to day production of all communications and PR materials for Human Race which will include communications to competitors, websites, magazines and other media outlets.
• Manage all HR communications via digital resources, emails, newsletters and all social network sites. Developing and managing blogs, Twitter and other social media sites.
• Ensure the Website is updated for all races.
• Management of relationships with Media Partners
• Creation and management of PR/marketing campaigns in order to ensure critical mass obtained at events whilst maximising value derived for sponsors.
• Maximise opportunities available through event “celebrity” ambassadors
• Plan and manage event media launches
• Develop friendships and professional relationships with editors and journalists across all relevant sport press
• To manage the press centre on large event days.
• Press evaluation for all larger events, feedback and collation of value.
• To ensure Company branding is consistent across all areas of the business.
• To meet, greet and support, Sponsors/media partners on race days.
• Attend and present at external sponsor/partner meetings and internal meetings with other company functions necessary to perform duties and aid business development.
• Monitor and report on market and competitor activities and provide relevant reports and information
• Communicate, liaise, and negotiate internally and externally using appropriate methods to facilitate the development of profitable and sustainable business relationships.
With the Marketing Manager
With the Sponsorship Manager
Critical Competencies: skills and abilities required for the role
• Strong Presentation and proven written skills.
• Creative thinker.
• Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
• Confidence and a persuasive manner.
• Good organisational skills.
• Plan and organize work to meet schedules and time lines.
• All round commercial acumen and ability to work to budgets
• Exercise good judgment, flexibility, creativity, and sensitivity in response to changing
situations and needs.
• Establish, maintain, and foster positive and harmonious working relationships with those
contacted in the course of work.
Key Personality Traits
• Positive attitude
• Self starter
• Team player
• Results orientation
• Meticulous/quality focus
Experience: relevant experience for the role
Necessary skills and experience:
• Proven in-house PR or Agency background.
• Experience of working with big name brands.
• Experience of working in the sports arena, preferably multi sports or running.
• Demonstrable experience of developing PR and marketing campaigns.
Other Significant Role Requirements: Any other factors which have a bearing on a candidate’s ability to perform
A love of sport, particularly running, swimming and cycling and an energetic disposition. Car owner/driver.
Proficiency in Desktop publishing and Photoshop.
Experience of Microsoft Office.
In-design knowledge desirable but not essential.
To degree level