This job is no longer available
Senior technology writer
Job Number: 1244849
Senior technology writer, Yahoo! News (6-month contract)
Yahoo! is the premier digital media company. We deliver your world, your way by creating deeply personal digital experiences that keep more than half a billion people connected to what matters most – across devices and around the globe.
And it's the Yahoos behind the scenes who make this all possible. We are energetic, idea-driven people who are passionate about shaping the future of the digital world. So if this sounds like you, come show us what you've got.
We are looking for a senior writer to lead our soon-to-be-revamped Technology section on Yahoo! News.
Our aim is to demystify technology, and to show how it can enhance our users’ lives. We want to enable users to make the most of technology and gadgets, and help them to safely navigate the Net.
The core subjects are: the Internet; online security; home computing; and mobile/apps.
To be considered for the role, you will need solid experience in consumer technology journalism working on a mainstream website and/or publication.
You will have a good understanding of technical issues, but be adept at explaining complex matters in a lively, engaging manner.
You’ll have a proven understanding of when and where to find the best stories, and be equally at home writing or commissioning ‘How to’ features.
You’ll also have a contacts book full of PRs and experts.
• Work closely with the Yahoo! News Editor to generate engaging and timely content ideas and identify gaps in existing content for Technology section, as well as across the other areas of the News site when required
• Take responsibility for editing the Tech section
• Work closely with partner sponsoring Tech section
• Research, write and upload Technology news, and features on a daily basis, as well as for other areas of News as and when required
• Commission and edit user generated content
• Contribute to daily and weekly brainstorming sessions
• Monitor and report on performance of content produced
• Source required images from pre-approved providers
• Programme key daily content on prominent Yahoo! pages
• Promote the best Yahoo! content across social media accounts
• Source and add videos and other related content to published articles and features
• Significant experience in Technology journalism, preferably in online and/or print
• A good nose for finding timely, interesting and relevant content and a strong understanding of identifying story angles
• Proven skill in news and feature writing
• Experience in writing for SEO
• A good understanding of social media
• Experience using content management systems and understanding of Photoshop
• Experience of working with a third-party provider.
• Excellent communication, collaboration and interpersonal skills
• Personality that thrives in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
• Fluent English speaker with clear knowledge of and interest in technology
• NCTJ qualification preferred
• Degree level education