This job is no longer available
What’s the job? Sub-Editor - News
Where do I work? The Sun, News International
Who’s my manager? Chief Sub
Why are we here?
To help attract more readers to enjoy our papers and digital products seven days a week. We relentlessly seek to lead the market, delivering the most engaging and informative content available.
How do we contribute?
By producing tight, accurate copy under intense pressure and having a knack for writing brilliant headlines. The Sun’s standards are extremely high and you’ll need to be confident that you can achieve them.
What’s my personal contribution? As well as having a way with words, you’ll be self-motivated, brimming with enthusiasm and full of ideas for improving stories. Ideally, you will have at least two years’ experience on a local paper or one year on a national
What are my accountabilities?
● Being fully aware of potential legal issues and always acting in accordance with the PCC Code of Conduct.
● Keen to adapt to digital platforms for The Sun and willing to work flexible hours over a seven-day rota pattern.
● Having attention to detail, being meticulous with fact-checking and ensuring each story is balanced.
● Consulting with reporters and writers to resolve issues with copy and keeping middle bench informed on changes that arise as stories develop.
● Being able to suggest new angles to all desks (News, Features, Sports etc.)
● A wide knowledge of current affairs and trends through reading various titles on a range of media platforms daily.
Must Haves (Skills & Behaviours)
● An obsessive interest in current affairs and popular culture, bags of drive and confidence and a cracking sense of humour.
● Ability to strike up good working relationships.
● Capable of working under the frequent pressure of tight deadlines