This job is no longer available
Job title: Front page editor, mornings / evenings & weekends
Reports to: Front page editorial manager
Yahoo! is the premier digital media company. We deliver your world, your way by creating deeply personal digital experiences that keep more than half a billion people connected to what matters most – across devices and around the globe. And it's the Yahoos behind the scenes who make this all possible. We are energetic, idea-driven people who are passionate about shaping the future of the digital world. So if this sounds like you, come show us what you've got.
The Yahoo! front page is one of the most-visited pages on the Web, with millions of people checking in every day. The front page editorial team is committed to providing every user with the best possible content – ‘the right thing, in the right place, at the right time’.
The front page editor will report to the UK front page editorial manager and will be responsible for maintaining our numerous high-profile pages, ensuring they are constantly up-to-date, accurate and engaging. This will involve work across the UK and Ireland homepages, as well as our tablet and mobile sites and social media accounts.
They will work with internal and external editors to commission and shape timely, exciting content and package it to catch the attention of audiences across the Web. Front page editors need to oversee the editorial tone and quality on all components, and will be required to monitor and approve copy and creative run by partners and advertisers.
We are looking for a hard-working, motivated individual who is capable of working as part of a team or alone, with a proven record of great editorial experience, broad interests and knowledge, a sense of fun and excitement, technical ability and an eye for detail.
There are two full-time roles. Both will work in the London office with the rest of the Yahoo! front page team during the week. They will work five days a week - either Monday to Friday, 7am-3.30pm or Friday to Tuesday, 12pm-8.30pm. This role will not involve constantly changing shifts - the role's hours will be the same from week to week. Some working from home may be required and a workplace assessment may need to be carried out.
• Keep the UK front page up-to-date with the latest news at all times.
• Identify the best content on Yahoo!'s network of specialist sites and promote it to the broad front page audience.
• Direct traffic into the Yahoo! network, ensuring individual sites meet traffic targets.
• Work with in-house and external editors to ensure major stories are covered on Yahoo! in a timely fashion, and in a way that will engage users.
• Use analytics tools to identify trends, satisfy all user demographics, fine-tune content and produce reports.
• Liaise with sales, marketing and business partners to ensure revenue streams are supported without compromising editorial voice.
• Identify technical issues and ensure they are escalated and dealt with promptly and efficiently.
• Work with other global front page editors to share best practices and content.
• Sub-edit copy for features, articles and promotions.
• Plan and schedule future coverage across the Yahoo! network.
• Engage social media users with regular updates.
• Support all Yahoo! properties by updating and covering additional sites where necessary.
• Solid knowledge of and interest in a broad range of subjects, from politics to football, cars to mortgages and cooking to pop music.
• Experience writing and editing on established websites and/or print publications.
• Extensive experience and knowledge of internet media and websites.
• Good organisational skills.
• Proven creative thinking, idea generation, feature commissioning and headline-writing experience.
• Excellent English and sub-editing skills.
• Experience using content management systems, metrics tools, Word, Photoshop and Excel.
• Consumer marketing and competitive analysis are an added value.
• An eye for a great photo and experience with image libraries.
• Ability to host meetings and present information to a live audience.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, and enthusiasm for working closely as part of a team.
• Social media experience is essential.