This job is no longer available
What’s the job?
Where do I work?
The Sun, News International
Who’s my manager?
Head of Features
Why are we here?
To generate quality editorial features content for The Sun newspaper and digital platforms; content which will inspire more readers to engage, choose and buy our papers and digital products every day. We will achieve this by putting the reader at the heart of everything we do. Through our strategies, creativity, and innovation we will continue to maintain the relevance and value of The Sun. We relentlessly seek to lead the market, delivering the most engaging and informative content available.
How do we contribute?
To generate daily and longer term features ideas and execute them successfully to a very high standard for The Sun newspaper and digital platforms.
What’s my personal contribution?
To produce outstanding, creative and engaging features for The Sun.
What are my accountabilities?
* The features content of The Sun plays a huge part in sculpting the paper’s identity and making it the best-selling UK newspaper. All feature writers generate a daily list of original ideas and execute the best to fill the spreads, pages and half pages which the department is responsible for producing seven days a week.
* To maintain a thorough knowledge of current affairs and trends. To do this by reading all the British newspapers every day plus reading, listening to and watching as much other news and entertainment media as possible – both traditional and new.
* To use that knowledge to generate a daily list of original features ideas which are strong enough to make it into The Sun.
* To bring to the paper and maintain contacts with freelancers, agents, PRs, publishers and other sources. These are essential in securing exclusive material for The Sun.
* To have the necessary drive and journalistic skills to execute those ideas and turn them into great copy which Sun readers will enjoy.
* To have exceptional writing and interviewing skills, honed through previous experience.
* To have a thorough knowledge of the PCC Code of Conduct, media law and ethical considerations.
* To always act in accordance with the PCC Code of Conduct and all News International’s guidelines for high standards of ethical and professional conduct.
* To encourage collaboration and support others, actively engaging with people in other teams and departments.
* Willingness to work flexible hours over a seven-day rota pattern.