This job is no longer available
Job Title: Assistant Digital Content Producer – Home
Department: Home Channel Team
Reporting to: Digital Content Producer for the Home channel website lovehome.co.uk
UKTV is a major industry player and one of the most important and successful multichannel providers in the UK. Formed in 1997, it is an independent commercial joint venture between BBC Worldwide, the commercial arm of the BBC, and Scripps Networks International.
Attracting over 40 million viewers each month, the network consists of 10 distinctive channel brands – Watch, Gold, Dave, Alibi, Yesterday, Blighty, Eden, Home, Really and Good Food – offering a broad range of quality programming across entertainment, lifestyle and factual. UKTV currently operates 22 broadcast streams when its eight multiplexes and four HD channels are taken into account, and 11 highly successful websites. The network also runs video on demand (VOD) services on Sky and BT Vision.
UKTV’s successful programming strategy combines high profile original commissions and key acquisitions with quality content from the BBC. All UKTV channels are distributed on Sky and Virgin Media. Dave, Really and Yesterday are also available on Freeview.
UKTV is a vibrant and fun place to work. We strive to be creative, smart and distinctive, in order to achieve our purpose – “to entertain people with content they love”.
We believe that through living five key behaviours, we can achieve our purpose as well as make UKTV one of the best media broadcasters to work for:
Be Inventive - imagine it, create it
Be Savvy - think different, act different, win different, outsmart
Trust - respect, value, protect
Take Ownership - say it, own it, do it
Be Passionate - feel it, live it, celebrate it
Home is a UK TV channel, available on Sky 246 and Virgin 265, featuring the best interior design, home decorating, DIY and gardening programmes. Our website, lovehome.co.uk, has articles, videos and photo galleries to inspire and help you in your home improvement projects, from kitchens to bathrooms, bedrooms to landscaping.
Our team of experts, including Ty Pennington, Paul Martin, Nick Knowles and Craig Phillips, are on hand to offer practical advice and inspiration in Home's TV shows - from DIY SOS, Homes Under The Hammer and Ground Force to Escape To The Country and Extreme Makeover Home Edition. Find advice or simply draw inspiration by browsing our galleries. Home, there's no place like it!
• Source, produce and edit content for the Home channel website www.lovehome.co.uk to deadline, according to BBC editorial guidelines
• Monitor site traffic using online tools and assist in the development of strategies to meet traffic growth targets across the website and channel.
• Manage and commission freelancers and contributors as required
• Implement search optimisation strategies such as article syndication and production of effective metadata and liaison with external search agency
• Produce lively, engaging, and error-free blog posts, newsletter and article content, acting as the editorial ‘voice’ of the website
• Manage the channel’s social media accounts including Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Google+ to engage users and increase followers using innovative and on-brand techniques
• Enhance user experience on website by monitoring user feedback (comments, ratings, calls etc) and following usability principles in daily work
• Awareness of the competitive landscape and ensure the channel website maintains its position in the market
• Effective liaison with the Marketing team on all promotional communications, continuity schedules and marketing campaigns.
• Effective liaison with Channel and programme production and technical teams to create compelling and appropriate channel support content
• Manage the creation, promotion and refresh strategies for video content across the site
• Maintain productive ongoing relationships with commercial partners and sponsors, and produce content according to agreed commercial contracts
• Source and manage competitions and cross-promotional opportunities
• Be ready and able to take initiative for day-to-day decision making and consequences
• To be aware of legal and rights issues relating to digital media content as well as specific areas such as data protection and libel law
• To live the UKTV behaviours, displaying inventive thinking, savvy, trust, ownership and passion in everything they do
Complexity & Problem Solving:
• Develop new, innovative and creative strategies for online content
• Routinely moderate the channel website and social media accounts, referring up when relevant
• Manage multiple projects concurrently requiring excellent organisation
• To harness team spirit across UKTV and collaborate with colleagues across the business to deliver successful projects / campaigns
• To promote and display trust to build successful business relationships and contacts
To generate ideas for new initiatives to improve the commercial aspects of the channel website
• To take a savvy approach making the most of UKTV’s budgets and resources
Business Impact / Strategic Responsibility:
• Has an understanding of UKTV’s strategy and how the role contributes to it
Knowledge, skills & experience:
• A knowledge and passion for homes and interiors, writing and sourcing articles and galleries for the Home channel website www.lovehome.co.uk
• Excellent online writing skills and innovative use of social media channels
• Competency with content management systems, Photoshop, MS Office, and basic HTML coding
• Proven experience in contributing to multi-disciplinary digital media projects
• Good organisational skills, with the proven ability to use initiative and plan work to effectively to meet critical deadlines, taking all factors such as deadlines, budgets and resource requirements into account
• Willing to take responsibility for individual online projects, manage your own time and implement targets to deadline.
• Ability to look at existing situations in alternative ways and come up with creative solutions, especially with engaging audiences online.
• Ideally, experience of video editing and encoding for the web.
• A genuine passion for TV