This job is no longer available
Location: San Jose, CA
Summary: The Silicon Valley/San Jose Business Journal is seeking reporters who are able to marry strong traditional journalism skills – source building, sharp interviewing techniques, strong analytical and investigative reporting skills, clear writing, document use – with online and social media know-how. Whatever the platform, reporters will produce content – original and curated – that is accompanied by perspective and context. Beats available at this time include real estate, finance and general assignment.
Duties: The top mission: to own audience, by every measure. A reporter is expected to contribute both short-form (daily online posts) and long-form (print) stories to our news products. Scoops matter. A lot. Specifically reporters will be expected to own their beat audience and conversation; use networking events, Twitter, LinkedIn and other community-building outlets to expand and fortify their source pool and audience; work collaboratively with other newsroom staffers to maximize impact and accessibility of stories reported; and meet or exceed goals related to audience engagement.
- Proven ability in reporting and writing
- Ability to work independently and remotely
- Ability to break news and to identify newsworthy events and sources
- Strong analytical and investigative interviewing skills
- Ability to relate comfortably to a wide range of people, in person and online, and to develop sources and audience
- Competitive, collaborative, curious
- Solid understanding of news writing, journalistic ethics and story structure
- Ability to leverage relationships with sources to deliver content that differentiates the organization from competitors
Experience: Proven experience building, maintaining and engaging an active audience; Knowledge of business, and/or business community, a plus. Experience with using social media to source and promote content also a plus.
Education: Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience.
To apply, send cover letter, resume and writing samples to email@example.com. No phone calls, please. MENTION GORKANA WHEN APPLYING!