This job is no longer available
Estates Gazette is looking for a new Finance Editor (12 months maternity cover).
Given banks’ massive exposure to commercial property and their urgent need to repair their balance sheets, this is one of the most important jobs on Estates Gazette and one of the most exciting in business journalism.
The successful candidate will take responsibility for our finance section, writing news and commissioning columns.
They will also be expected to contribute to the news section and write comment pieces of their own as well as longer, analytical articles and interviews.
Given the number of listed companies we cover, they should be experienced in writing quickly and accurately for websites or wire services. And with our expanding multi-media output, ideally they will be used to appearing in front of a TV camera.
The successful candidate needs to be as comfortable explaining complicated financial instruments as they are chatting to FTSE100 chief executives about strategy.
More than anything they will be highly numerate, analytical and capable of breaking market-moving stories.
The Department: Estates Gazette
Estates Gazette is essential reading for everyone in the commercial property business. It provides the latest news, analysis and interviews with key figures, plus expert views and comment on all aspects of property. In print, online and multi-media, Estates Gazette covers areas including high profile regeneration schemes, multi-million pound investment deals and bank lending.
Our award-winning editorial team works across our subscription-only website EGi (and free-to-air site estatesgazette.com) and our weekly print title.
The role of Finance Editor (maternity cover) offers an experienced journalist the opportunity to join a 35-strong, multi award-winning editorial team in a senior position.
• Reporting to the managing editor, the finance editor will be responsible for delivering exclusive stories, insightful analysis and securing must-read columns.
• He or she will be an experienced journalist with considerable writing and editing experience.
• The finance editor will also have line management responsibility.
Key Skills Required:
• Strong news reporting skills
• Experience of writing / editing news and features in print and online
• Multimedia skills and experience – especially video and podcasting
• Thorough editing skills to ensure quality and accuracy
• Organisational and time management skills
• Excellent people skills
• Ability to identify relevant trends and connect with senior figures in the industry
• Ability to work closely with other senior members of the team
• Educated to degree-level, plus journalism training, including media law. Maths and English to a minimum of GCSE level.
• Experience in a similar role, including working to strict deadlines
• Experience of working in print and online is essential, and a full understanding of the different demands of each.
• Business journalism experience, with proven ability to get to grips with a specialist subject area and deal with senior industry figures
• Working in multi-media and using social media
Reed Business Information (RBI) is a leading B2B online media and publishing company, with an award-winning portfolio of branded community websites, online subscription services, web based directories and vertical search products. Part of the Reed Elsevier Group, RBI has annual sales of £250 million, with globally recognised brands in 18 vertical markets in the UK, Europe, USA and Asia.
Our rapidly developing online strategy focuses on meeting our user needs via community based information products & tools, data driven information services, vertical search products, including the leading B2B search engine, and online recruitment services. RBI is leading the B2B sector by developing innovative Web 2.0 online services and tools across a range of vertical markets, backed by established brands, investment in technology and a strong focus on user experience.
RBI General Benefits Package:
• Competitive Salaries
• Group Pension Scheme
• 29 Days Holiday
• Paid Charity Days – 2 days per year
• Save As You Earn Share Scheme (SAYE)