This job is no longer available
Our global technology client is looking for a Senior Editor for their Global Website (20 million unique visitors per month) to run a channel dedicated to technology providing up-to the minute, real-time news and content within a fast paced, creative content environment. The role is based in London.
NOTE: We are looking for someone who is currently an Editor (or Deputy Editor) at a technology focussed website/blog with a large user base. You must be well known in this industry and have a strong network.
You will become the face of this channel in the UK. You need to live and breathe innovation and new technology and articulate your enthusiasm to both internal and external audiences. Many of this channel’s competitors are enthusiastic blogs. You need to be able to reflect this type of energy and enthusiasm for a mainstream audience. As part of that, you need to act as an ambassador, to firmly put the channel on the map, gaining access to events and pre-release technology, get the channel noticed, get it nominated for awards and appear in the media to represent the channel.
You need to be able to quickly react to breaking news, both with the ability to generate news and comment themselves or have an impressive list of contacts on hand to commission top flight writers to assist. You also need to be comfortable telling stories in a number of different ways including words, pictures and video.
You need to positively embrace and influence others through social media and understand how especially important it is in this industry. You also need to be able to produce content to support our client’s products and coordinate with internal PR and Marketing teams to achieve this.
Please note that although we have described this role as a contract position, our client hires people with an intention to utilise them on a very long term basis, so it is in effect very similar to a permanent role, despite engaging as a contractor from a commercial point of view.
• Be engaging - participative, create debate
• Be first, or if you can’t be, move the story on
• Be fresh, bold & original – tone and content
• Write the way people talk to their friends
• Be picture led
• Less planning, more reaction
• Leading and inspiring the team to excellence and coming up with new and fresh approaches and strands within all channels
• Beat rivals on breaking news and ensuring the channels reflect the “best of now” at all times
• Creation of new and original content strands and ideas across all channels
• Securing exclusive content and access to celebrities
• Increase user engagement through close monitoring of unique users, dwell time, social targets
• Build industry relationships to extend our access to key celebrities and industry heavyweights
• Increase traffic to mobile, slate devices
• Increase social engagement with the site across Facebook and Twitter
• Developing and contributing to new sponsorship opportunities
• Deliver best SEO practice to hit SEO targets
• Experience in managing direct reports or leading a team to excellence
• A bulging book of excellent industry contacts within the technology industry
• Proven experience of setting and leading technology focused daily news agenda for a large online audience
• Proven track record in launching large scale editorial initiative, sponsorship, or vertical
• Must have a track record of smart news judgment
• Must have a deep understanding of social media, and be ready to respond quickly and efficiently to news that breaks through this medium
• Must have a close eye on competitor sites and understand strengths and weaknesses of other competitors to position your own unique content
• Must have a proven track record in spotting great pictures and know how to sell them with an original angle
• Must write stop-you-in-your-tracks headlines
• Be able to demonstrate an ability to operate under pressure
• Must react quickly to produce up-to-the-minute articles
Technical / Functional Skills:
• Adobe Photoshop – intermediate level or above
• MS Office – intermediate level or above
• High degree of computer literacy
• Good knowledge of social media
• 1,000+ followers on personal Twitter account (desirable)
• Good interpersonal and communication skills
• Good leadership skills.
• Good understanding of SEO
• Experience using CMSs
• Experience using Omniture (desirable)
• Numeracy and comfort with performance metrics and delivering on them
Looking forward to hearing from you.