This job is no longer available
JOB TITLE: AV Support Engineer
REPORTS TO: AV Team Lead
Perform (www.performgroup.co.uk) is a world leader in monetising sports and entertainment rights in digital media. With some of the biggest global entertainment brands in its portfolio, the group is a consistent marketing innovator since 2000, and a major driving force in the commercialisation of sport and entertainment rights online, on mobile and on TV.
Perform’s 650+ staff operates over 350 websites including those for over 90 UK Football Clubs, Cricket Australia, EMI, ADMC, ITV, Turner Broadcasting and works with various rights holders, including The Premier League and the ATP Masters Series. Main offices and facilities are located in London.
Other facilities are located in Ireland, Italy, Holland, US, India, Singapore and Australia to name a few.
The department for which this role is located in carries out support and maintenance of the entire Live Broadcasting and Post Production editing platforms in a 24/7 broadcast environment, from satellite delivery, remote and local ingest to edit, live streaming, and final export delivery. The successful candidate will be in involved with all specified aspects of this description. However, in this role the emphasis will be on the Live and VOD streaming and relative responsibilities, assisting with support and maintenance, technical set-ups of new streaming and delivery requirements.
Direct contact with clients to help troubleshoot problems is at times necessary.
• Monitoring and troubleshooting the live encoding and video transcoding server farms.
• Monitoring and troubleshooting for network issues in relation to IP video delivery both internally and externally to CDN partners.
• Adopting best practice with regard to streaming media / broadcast technologies.
• Provide regular maintenance of broadcast and production equipment.
• Work alongside development teams to help deliver major projects.
• Understand the technical escalation procedures within the company.
• Accurately communicate via internal ticketing system (Jira).
• Working a shift pattern covering unsociable hours and weekends, including out of hours support when required.
Be able to demonstrate at least 3 years experience working as an engineer in an IT based environment, with a good level of server support and networking technical knowledge. The candidate will preferably have some knowledge or exposure of streaming media broadcast or video and audio systems. The role may suit an IT system engineer looking to build upon their skills in an environment heavily focused on video broadcast.
• PC/server support engineer experience.
• PC/server hardware build and maintenance.
• General networking skills.
• System installations in server rooms.
• Remote system management.
• Windows OS (desktop and server versions), Mac OS X.
• Good attention to detail.
• Good communication and interpersonal skills.
• Good time management skills.
Desired skills (some or all will give an advantage but not necessarily essential):
• Understanding and experience of streaming media technologies.
• Familiarity with video codecs (such as H.264).
• Familiarity with CDNs (such as Akamai and Level 3).
• Experience with video encoding/transcoding systems (such as Digital Rapids and Telestream).
• Experience with video over IP contribution encoding systems (such as Fujitsu and Ateme).
• Experience with video editing systems (such as Avid and Editshare).
• Knowledge of IRD setup and configuration.
• Experience with AV equipment (such as decks, mic amps and mics).
• Experience with other AV systems (such as Axon, Miranda and Evertz equipment).
The successful candidate will be willing to work shift patterns covering a 24 hour period.