This job is no longer available
What’s the job?
Deputy Art Director
Where do I work?
TV Magazine, The Sun, News International
Who’s my manager?
Why are we here?
To inspire more readers to engage, choose and buy our papers and digital products every day. We will achieve this by putting the reader at the heart of everything we do. Through our strategies, creativity, and innovation we will continue to maintain the relevance and value of The Sun and TV magazine. We relentlessly seek to lead the market, delivering the most visually exciting, engaging and informative content available.
How do we contribute?
By producing the most visually impressive, unique and creative layouts and designs for the magazine on a weekly basis. TV magazine and The Sun’s standards are extremely high and you’ll need to be confident that you can achieve them.
The ideal applicant will have experience working in design in the consumer magazine industry.
What’s my personal contribution?
As well as having creative flair and proven design experience, you’ll be self-motivated, brimming with enthusiasm and full of ideas for covers, layouts and the brand as a whole.
What are my accountabilities?
• Plan, design and layout pages of the magazine, working closely with various team members including pictures, subs and features.
• Photo shoots are a regular occurrence so you will need to bring ideas to weekly meetings and communicate your ideas to the art team and editors.
• A proven passion for strong editorial design, with a focus on photography, typography and structure.
• At times you will be required to cover the Art Director’s role.
You will have the confidence and flare to work on covers, attend photoshoots and help make sure the magazine goes to press without hiccup.
• To be proactive in suggesting new schemes, layouts and treatments.
Must Haves (Skills & Behaviours)
• Experience in the consumer magazine industry.
• Be proficient in InDesign.
• Be confident in the use of Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator.
• A thorough knowledge of the print process from start to finish, including an understanding and practical knowledge of using online repro systems.
• Have a portfolio that demonstrates excellent layout skills, creativity, photographic / typographic awareness.
• An interest in popular culture, celebrity and TV.
• You will need buckets of enthusiasm and the ability to work quickly and as part of a team and to meet tight weekly deadlines.
• Have exceptional attention to detail whilst keeping a level head is an absolute must.