This job is no longer available
What’s the job?
Deputy Chief Sub-Editor (TV Magazine) The Sun
Where do I work?
The Sun, News International
Who’s my manager?
Why are we here?
To help attract more readers to enjoy our magazine. We relentlessly
seek to lead the market, delivering the most engaging and informative content available.
How do we contribute?
By producing tight, accurate copy under intense pressure and having the ability for writing brilliant headlines. TV Magazine’s standards are extremely high and you’ll need to be confident that you can achieve them.
What’s my personal contribution?
As well as having a way with words, you’ll be self-motivated, brimming with enthusiasm and full of ideas for improving stories. Ideally, you will have at least two years’ experience on a national magazine.
What are my accountabilities?
• You need to be fully aware of potential legal issues and must always act in accordance with the PCC Code of Conduct.
• Striking up good working relationships with colleagues in other areas is vital.
• Great headlines are what make our publication different from others and our subs are master craftsmen and women of the English language.
• Keen attention to detail and meticulous fact-checking. Must ensure all facts and background necessary for the story to be understood are included and subbed to house style.
• Consulting with the writer in order to resolve issues with copy and with the art desk and picture department should any layout or image changes be required.
• Proactive in suggesting new angles.
• Handles real life, celeb and lifestyle pages with equal flair.
• Copy is subbed and presented to the editors free of errors and inaccuracies. Must re-sub if the editor so requires.
• Read own magazine and rival publications each week – and the mainstream papers every day.
Must Haves (Skills & Behaviours)
• An obsessive interest in television and popular culture, bags of drive and confidence and a cracking sense of humour.
• Able to work under pressure of tight and frequent deadlines.
• Has a light or serious touch where required – can adapt subbing style to story.
• Must have experience working with InDesign.
• Leads by example and builds good team spirit.
• An ability to adapt to a changing work environment as required.
• Works hard, is punctual and is always prepared to put in extra time and effort where necessary.
• Must be up to date on current events and TV/film/personalities and plots. An interest in or knowledge of soaps is crucial.