This job is no longer available
Platts, a division of The McGraw-Hill Companies, is a leading global provider of energy and metals information. With nearly a century of business experience, Platts serves customers across more than 150 countries. From 14 offices worldwide, we serve the oil, natural gas, electricity, nuclear power, coal, petrochemical and metals markets. Our real time news, pricing, analytical services, and conferences help markets operate with transparency and efficiency. Traders, risk managers, analysts, and industry leaders depend upon Platts to help them make better trading and investment decisions.
Platts is now looking for a German speaking Market Reporter. The position reports on energy and commodity-related news, producing both real-time news and feature and enterprise stories on a wide array of topics including economic, finance, and regulatory issues, as well as coverage of specific entities: companies, governments and other organizations.
Reports and writes regular news for Platts' real-time alert services
• Covers real-time news events for the alert services
• Files alert stories from conferences and other industry events
• Files stories that have good spelling, grammar and style structure
• Covers breaking news
• Gathers commodity price information
Gathers commodity price information and produce price assessments and indexes
• Follows price trends and report on those trends throughout the trading day
• Verifies transactions or data information submissions
• Develops price assessments and indexes, applying proprietary methodologies
• Identifies pricing methodology issues in specific area of market coverage
• Continually scans the market for changes that might impact trading terms and practices
Produces regular enterprise stories reports for various Platts publications
• Produces well-written, multi-sourced stories
• Expands depth of stories through thorough research
• Develops thorough line of questions around an issue or story
• Establishes understanding of readership needs
• Achieves publishing exclusivity (scoops)
• Contributes occasionally to digital media activities (i.e. blogs and podcasts)
Develops a diverse industry source base
• Identifies sources that are key to reporting beat
• Establishes and maintains contact with key sources
• Maintains a contact list
Develops knowledge of beat and related companies
• Conducts ongoing research of beat area (finance, regulation and other key topics)
• Has solid knowledge of key companies in beat area and contacts at those companies
• Develops diverse information source (including documents; third tier sources etc.)
• Can read and understand the basics of financial statements
• BA degree in appropriate discipline.
• Previous reporting and writing experience.
• Native English speaker with fluent spoken and written German.
• Displays well-rounded communication skills that implement good listening techniques, clear, concise writing style; and good verbal skills. Has the ability to communicate across a wide range of groups and personalities internally and externally.
• Works well in a team environment, focusing on collaboration and adapting to the needs and deadlines issued by multiple managing editors.
• Has a good research and analytical capabilities with the capability of locating and interpreting a variety of information including regulatory, legal and corporate documents.
• Displays a continuous learning development orientation, seeking to learn about new issues that impact beat area and constantly seeking to find answers to questions.
• Possesses basic computer and keyboarding skills including a basic understanding of Word, Outlook and Excel.
To apply for this vacancy, please click on the link below and search for vacancy number: 26100.