This job is no longer available
Deadline - 28th September 2012
What’s the job?
Assistant Picture Editor
Where do I work?
The Sun, News International
Who’s my manager?
Why are we here?
To ensure The Sun produces the best possible picture coverage of the day’s events.
How do we contribute?
By working closely with all the picture agencies, watching the wires and liaising with reporters, back bench, art desk and subs.
What’s my personal contribution?
Working with the Picture Editor and the existing team.
Helping to compile a daily picture list for editorial conference.
Dealing with pictures agencies and bringing in exclusives. Negotiating fees for pictures.
Watching the wires for pictures.
What are my accountabilities?
• Seeking out exclusives to ensure we rise above the competition.
• A thorough knowledge of what’s making the news and what Sun readers are interested in. Must be aware of what rival newspapers and magazines are publishing too.
• Ability to use and know way round social media. Awareness and ability to contribute to The Sun’s multi-media platforms.
• Knowledge of the PCC code and media law.
• Ability to picture research across a broad range of areas.
• Working with the Senior Sun staff to help produce the paper.
• Willingness to work flexible hours whenever required to meet the demands of daily deadlines.
• Knowledge of photo agency sites and individual photographers.
• A book rimming with good contacts
• Knowledge of the law and press codes.
• General use of both Macs and PC's. Use of picture management systems