This job is no longer available
Digital Art Director
As Digital Art Director you will take a key role in our centralised global production team with staff in the UK and Asia. You will be charged with determining and leading the digital design process in our cross-platform multimedia environment.
We are looking for an individual with exceptional capabilities who can lead the development of design concepts that meet the business objectives. This is very much a people-oriented job which requires strong management and communication skills.
Duties and responsibilities
The smooth day-to-day running of the design process:
• Oversee all layouts, ensuring the design suits the audience. Work with UX team to ensure best combination of design and usability.
• Staff management and development responsibilities, and management of external contacts/contributors, as appropriate.
• Ensure that the house design style is followed in all media, and develop as necessary.
• Images are kept within set budgets.
• Ensure that all deadlines are met.
• Responsibility for maintaining and, in conjunction with the Head of Design and Production, improving the design standards on all products that the department has responsibility for.
• Working with other senior members of the Global Production team, implement ways of using design and artwork across the groups’ products and services more effectively.
• Attend air shows and trade shows when required.
• Work in other RBI offices as required.
Contributes to the strategic planning and direction of the title/product:
Help to institute any required changes on workflow, layout or production issues in line with overall business objectives.
Nurture the design skills within the greater Production team.
Feed back major design changes/layout restructures to layout staff/freelances and explain why they have been made to help raise design standards across the board.
• Solid production and design background with proven digital design skills, with particular focus on tablet design
• Demonstrable people management skills
• Excellent communication skills and ability to work within a large team structure across different continents and time zones
• Ability to recognise and implement strong content in the right media
• Ability to influence/persuade others
• Art direction
• Good organisational skills
• Self-starter with proven initiative
• Capable of generating creative ideas and innovating across all products.
• Good understanding of craft, combining typography, structure, grids, layout, image and colour to good effect.
• Proven design management experience in a busy publishing environment
• Attention to detail
• Adobe Creative Suite, with focus on InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop
• Understanding of HTML and front-end development requirements essential
• Editing and motion graphics software experience an advantage
Member of title/product management team, with responsibility for liaison with other Section Heads in order to meet deadlines
Reporting to the Global Digital Producer
Reed Business Information brings market leading brands to an audience of millions of decision makers worldwide through its multi-platform media of data services, online lead generation services, community websites, magazines and events. Reed Business Information Ltd is part of Reed Elsevier, a world leading provider of professional information solutions in the Science, Medical, Legal and Risk and Business sectors.
RBI General Benefits Package
- Pension Scheme
- 29 Days Holiday
- Paid Charity Days – 2 days per year
- Life Insurance (4x salary)
- Save As You Earn Share Scheme (SAYE)
- Competitive Salaries