This job is no longer available
Location: Houston, TX
This position is primarily responsible for working at the direction of senior editorial staff in Hart Energy’s downstream editorial division. Editorial products consist of seven digital subscription-based newsletters – one daily newsletter, three weekly and three bi-weekly newsletters and FUEL, a quarterly downstream magazine.
This position will also be responsible for assisting in general editorial duties required for the production of the seven newsletters, FUEL magazine and web-based products by performing the following duties.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Core duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
• Develops, interviews and writes exclusive content for the newsletters and FUEL, at the direction of senior editorial staff. There are also opportunities to write for other Hart Energy publications as well.
• Follows company and industry news that is relevant to downstream coverage areas, including global refinery news on operations, project updates and new technologies; transportation, new research reports and analysis and commodities on a daily basis.
• Updates websites and databases.
• Assists with all phases of the production of editorial products, with a primary responsibility for the production of Global Refining & Fuels Today, the daily downstream digital newsletter. This includes writing of a daily commodities report, reporting the prices of crude oil, natural gas and specific fuel prices. Familiarity with the Bloomberg terminal is helpful.
• Rewrites or directs the rewriting of copy, headlines, and captions to clarify meaning and to conform to publication's style and editorial policy.
• Copyedits or directs copy editing activities such as conferring with writers, editing copy, marking up copy for graphic designer, reading galleys, page proofs or final bluelines to detect and correct errors.
• Periodically travels to events outside of home office as required. Ability to write stories on deadline from event locations and email them to home office.
• Initiates and responds to ideas for articles according to editorial policy.
• Ensures production of periodical within specified budget and deadlines.
• Prioritizes, tracks, handles and maintains records of the elements and time schedules of each issue.
• Initiates or replies to correspondence regarding material published or being considered for publication.
• Writes or directs the writing of articles, stories, editorials, headlines and captions.
• Participates in marketing and promotion planning.
• Attends professional and social events relevant to the periodical's content and audience.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Education and Experience: Bachelor Degree (B.A. or B.S.) in English, journalism or related field and two to eight years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Computer Skills: To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of: Internet Software; Spreadsheet Software (Excel); Word Processing Software (Word); Electronic Mail Software (Outlook); Presentation Software (PowerPoint); Publisher Software; and Photoshop or equivalent. Knowledge or familiarity of the Bloomberg terminal helpful.
• Language Skills: Ability to read, analyze and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies or members of the business community. Ability to write speeches and articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format. Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups and/or boards of directors.
• Mathematical Skills: Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
• Reasoning Ability: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
• Other Skills and Abilities: Genuine interest in learning about and reporting on the energy industry. Demonstrated experience assessing manuscripts and making recommendations on their publication to senior editorial staff; Ability to handle multiple priorities simultaneously, meet deadlines, and handle work-related stress is required; Ability to establish and maintain professional atmosphere for employees, clients and customers; and Ability to work a flexible schedule to include weekends and holidays.
APPLY HERE AND MENTION GORKANA: http://hartenergy.iapplicants.com/ViewJob-367099.html