London Youth Games Foundation, Media & Communications Intern
To assist the Head of Communications with social media, digital content, sports reporting and media outreach for the London Youth Games Foundation
37 hours a week
25 days per annum pro rata in addition to statutory bank holidays and lieu days
Head of Communications
Wednesday 27 April 2016
W/c 9 May 2016
As soon as possible
About the London Youth Games Foundation
The London Youth Games is a small charity with a big ambition, delivering Europe’s largest youth sport festival. More than 136,000 young Londoners participated in London Youth Games competitions and pathway events in 2015. Our aim is to give more young people in London the opportunity to reach their full potential through the power of competitive sport – by running events that people want to compete at, coach at and volunteer at. The London Youth Games started in 1977, as part of Her Majesty’s Silver
Jubilee experience and so we are approaching our 40th birthday. In 2014, we celebrated our one millionth participant and that million has included Sir Bradley Wiggins, Rio Ferdinand, Joanna Rowsell, Mo Farah, Christine Ohuruogu, David Weir, Rachel Yankey and, very recently, Dina Asher-Smith.
We are looking for a recent graduate to take on a key role in delivering the Media and Communications activity for the London Youth Games Foundation in the crucial Summer season.
The ideal candidate will have some experience of working within sports media and communications – whether sports reporting, social media / blogging or working at sport events – and will have a relevant degree or qualification.
The main purpose of the role is to help deliver the media and communications objectives during the key Summer season leading up to the Summer Finals week at the beginning of July.
The successful candidate will work closely with the Head of Communications as well as being a motivated self-starter who can run social media, digital and news reporting responsibilities with minimum supervision.
This is a great opportunity for someone wanting to work in sports media and communications with a particular focus on sports reporting and social media. LYG interns have gone onto work for a wide variety of well-known sports organisations including the World Athletics Championships (London 2017), the London Marathon, StreetGames, the LTA, Youth Sport Trust and Euro 2016.
- Assisting the Head of Communications with the delivery of day-to-day communications across all channels.
- Managing Twitter, Instagram and Facebook accounts to include updates, stories and video/image content.
- Researching news stories about LYG events, competitors, volunteers and alumni to post on the website.
- Working closely with the other members of the team across volunteering, events and sports to meet the communications requirements for each area.
- Attending LYG events and competitions across London to report both live on social media and with results and match reports post-event.
- Working with the Head of Communications to manage media volunteers at events
- Assisting with ideas and content for the redevelopment of the website
Please note this role may include some limited weekend and evening work – we can provide you with key dates if required.
- Writing / journalism.
- Social media management.
- Digital – website management.
- Strong communication skills.
- Educated to degree level.
- Experience of utilising all relevant office and communications IT packages and software.
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of a small team.
- Passion for youth sport, competition and its benefits for young people.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to work alone and as part of a team.
- Flexible and enthusiastic.
- Available for some weekend work (with time off given in lieu) and evening work during event delivery season (predominantly, but not exclusively, late May-early July).
- Good team player.
- Commitment to the aims and values of the London Youth Games Foundation.
- Friendly and professional manner.
Please send your CV with a covering letter outlining your suitability for the role and detailing why you are interested in joining London Youth Games, by completing the application form below.
CVs sent without a covering letter will not be accepted.