Good Housekeeping, Cookery Director - Maternity Cover
Good Housekeeping needs a highly experienced Cookery Director.
You will have a great creative eye for all things food related and considerable experience. Each month, the GH Food Team produce 40+ newly created recipes, which are triple-tested and subsequently photographed. It is this unique and original content that not only fills the food pages in the print magazine, but also feeds the recipe search for the website and our own cookbooks.
The Cookery Director is a pivotal role, so if you are passionate about food, have a head full of recipe ideas, love food photography, have an outstanding contacts book and want to be part of one of the best teams in the business, please upload your CV, a covering letter and three feature ideas you feel would be perfect for Good Housekeeping.
- To devise, cook and triple-test recipes for magazine features as directed by the Editorial Director.
- To book photographers and prop stylists and plan shoots as directed by the Editorial Director and Creative Director.
- To fill in tester top sheets and liaise with the Editorial Director and other members of the food team regarding the results.
- To input clear, well thought out test notes on the system and to input accurate copy/type corrections, checking details throughout.
- To read and check proofs meticulously.
- To attend meetings with the Editorial Director and Food team and participate in brainstorming for feature ideas and new recipes, and present feature ideas to Conference.
- To prepare food for photography to the highest standards.
- To go shopping or order food online for development, testing and photography. This responsibility is shared with the team.
- To commission and research information for features, as required. To work with other departments as required.
- To ensure copy is delivered on time to the Editorial Director.
- To read and check proofs meticulously, as required.
- To ensure the efficient running of the kitchen.
- To oversee the Food team, organising the workload, managing the team efficiently and carrying out appraisals as required.
- To keep abreast of food trends.
- To oversee food taste test panels, as required.
- To assist and oversee the efficient answering of readers’ letters and emails.
- To undertake cookery demonstrations – either for readers or clients – as required. These may be evening events.
- To oversee the budgets, ensuring the pages produced comply with strict editorial budgeting guidelines, as directed by the Associate Editor/Group Managing Editor. To ensure invoices are paid on time.
- To assist the GH team with the organisation of the Good Housekeeping Food Awards.
- To assist in the putting together of associated print and digital projects, including standalones.
- To work closely with the Associate Editor/Group Managing Editor in editing the Good Housekeeping books programme.
- Contributing in whatever way required to the digital offering.
- To adhere to production schedules throughout the production cycle.
- To forge and maintain links with PRs, advertisers and outside organisations, promoting Good Housekeeping and clarifying its editorial stance. These may be evening events.
- To represent the magazine outside the office, where appropriate, giving presentations, radio, TV, national and local print and other media interviews and attending relevant events.
- To help/attend reader events when required. These may be evening events.
- To read and monitor competitive magazines and other activities within the media, including digital, to keep abreast of new ideas and trends, and to be aware of the competitive set and developments within your area.
- To raise Good Housekeeping’s profile within the food industry.
- To devise GH campaigns and see them through to fruition.
- Proven recipe development, styling and shooting skills.
- Experience on a woman’s/lifestyle magazine or lifestyle section of a newspaper
- Good food contacts book for photographers, prop houses, stylists and PRs
- Extensive food training
- Health and Safety hygiene cert
- Excellent organisational skills
- Flair for writing, editing and rewriting recipe copy
- Meticulous eye for detail
- Effective liaising and negotiating skills
Apply by clicking 'Apply' now.