Seeking Writer / Analyst
The Knife of Aristotle (ethicalmedia.org) has a mission to strengthen ethics and objectivity in media. We use a proprietary method of news analysis that applies critical thinking, logic and a unique understanding of the power of language. We filter and separate the facts from opinions, and provide readers with a data-based representation of what’s going on in the world. In addition, we use our unique analysis process to classify and rate the degrees to which news outlets distort their information.
We are currently expanding our team to cover more stories and inspire a culture of critical thought and ethical communication worldwide. We are looking for skilled writers and content editors who have an entrepreneurial spirit: individuals who are driven and inspired to build a career with The Knife, further our mission, and expand our team.
In order to maintain our set of standards, we require our writers and editors to become experts at our tools of critical thinking, ethics and analysis. In particular, they are required to have working knowledge of our rating system and standards. In order to develop these skills, all members of our team are required to attend a five-week-long training; the next one will begin on October 29, 2016 in Albany, NY. This is an advanced training course in communication, logic and ethical decision-making. The training does not have a fee, and the hours are comparable to a normal work week. After the training, applicants are required to become certified in The Knife analysis process (which the training teaches) to begin their career with the company. Once certified, they will have access to full-time work with The Knife, and may work remotely.
For those interested in applying, please send an email to email@example.com with the following: a cover letter explaining why you would like to work with the Knife and your CV. We will send you next steps on the application process.
The ideal candidates for writer and content editor would also be able to bring a high level of refinement and precision to our copy. We’re looking for individuals who have both an impeccable command of the basics—spelling, punctuation, grammar and syntax—as well as the knowledge and precision to identify inconsistencies or redundancies in information.
If you are the kind of person who would jump at the chance to learn new critical thinking tools and work with a team striving to make a lasting impact on our industry, this may be for you.
- Passionate about strengthening ethics and objectivity in the media
- An entrepreneurial spirit and desire to help build a team
- An eagerness to learn new ways of writing and thinking about data
- Flexibility in schedule to attend month-long training and weekly meetings
- Strong critical thinking skills
- Openness to examining beliefs and new ways of viewing a given topic
- Works independently and with a team
- A Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college
- Well-informed about current world news, good understanding of the breaking news cycle
- Possesses solid news judgment
- Thrives in a creative, fast-paced work environment where critical thinking is a priority
- Strong organizational skills, with proven ability to juggle multiple stories across formats and meet deadlines
- Excellent proof-reading skills
- Solid knowledge of AP style
- Proficiency with Word and Excel
Again, if you are interested in joining our team, please send your cover letter (explaining why you would like to work with the Knife) and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will send you the next steps!