News Editor - Emerging Media, The Wall Street Journal - NY
Dow Jones is a global provider of news and business information, delivering content to consumers and organizations around the world across multiple formats, including print, digital, mobile and live events. Dow Jones has produced unrivaled quality content for more than 125 years and today has one of the world's largest news gathering operations globally.
It produces leading publications and products including the flagship Wall Street Journal, America's largest newspaper by paid circulation; Factiva, Barron's, MarketWatch, Financial News, DJX, Dow Jones Risk & Compliance, Dow Jones Newswires, and Dow Jones VentureSource.
The Wall Street Journal is looking for an emerging media editor to help manage its Snapchat Discover channel.
This journalist will lead a team of editors and motion graphics designers producing daily news and features with a focus on highly visual, innovative storytelling. The job is a bit like running a digital magazine every day: you choose the stories, edit and package them for the platform, write headlines, and work with motion graphics designers to create dynamic graphics and video. Strong news judgment is key, as is deep familiarity with Snapchat.
Emerging Media Editor
The New York-based role offers a chance to work with reporters and editors across the global newsroom to bring our best journalism to a new and growing audience. The ideal candidate would be fluent in the language of social media engagement, passionate about new modes of storytelling, and excited to monitor analytics to fine tune story selection.
- Managing a small team of editors and designers
- Working across the newsroom to generate platform-appropriate content
- Generating story ideas and for snapchat-specific features
- Ensuring the tone of headlines and articles strikes a balance between WSJ's traditional voice and the less-formal Snapchat style.
- Working on cross-platform strategies with the audience engagement, development and newsroom analytics teams
Skills and Qualifications
- Exceptional news judgement and familiarity with WSJ style
- A passion for writing pitch-perfect headlines and engaging social copy
- Deep understanding of and excitement for the Snapchat Discover platform
- Highly organized and able to pivot between daily deadlines and longer-term projects
- Ability to be both a team player and a team leader
- Basic knowledge of data analytics tools preferred
Education and Experience
- 4-5 years of newsroom experience
- Bachelor's degree in journalism or related field
Applications should include a resume and cover letter.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets.
Click 'Apply' now.