Thomson Reuters, Global Pictures Editor
6 days left
- Full Time
We are the leading source of intelligent information for the world's businesses and professionals, providing customers with competitive advantage. Intelligent information is a unique synthesis of human intelligence, industry expertise and innovative technology that provides decision-makers with the knowledge to act, enabling them to make better decisions faster. We deliver this must-have insight to the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting, intellectual property and science and media markets, powered by the world's most trusted news organization.
Reuters is looking for a Global Editor to lead the award-winning team behind the world’s top news picture agency.
We need an inspirational leader who will motivate a team of nearly two hundred staff around the globe and ensure that Reuters dominates coverage of the biggest news events and provides unique photojournalism to tell the stories of a fast-changing world. Among the many accolades won by Reuters this year was a Pulitzer Prize.
A commitment to preserving the Thomson Reuters Trust Principles of independence, integrity and freedom from bias is essential. So is absolute dedication to the safety of all the photographers who provide pictures to Reuters, whether those are staff or our hundreds of freelance contributors.
The successful candidate will need impeccable news judgement and a strong track record of leading outstanding news coverage that is respected within the industry. The Global Pictures Editor is responsible for a multi-million dollar budget and must deliver on financial targets.
She or he will have a deep understanding of the news photography business and the wider media industry and of how they are changing. An openness to new ideas and new ways of working is critical. We are looking for a candidate with the flexibility and imagination to seize on new opportunities and the ability to manage change.
Excellent communication skills are a must. The global editor will inspire our exceptional photographers and will be committed to identifying and developing the stars of the future from diverse backgrounds.
Reuters is a fully multimedia news organisation and the Global Editor will work closely with colleagues from video and text to give our customers exemplary coverage across the board.
The Global Editor represents Reuters to the picture industry and more widely and must be comfortable speaking at public events.
- Gives overall direction to news coverage and ensures the file meets customer needs and performance standards.
- Develops a comprehensive set of standards and measures to assess performance.
- Responsible for translating customer needs and business strategies into action.
- Represents Reuters Pictures to internal and external customers and meets directly with clients to understand and deliver on their needs.
- Committed to Reuters Trust Principles and ensures they are fully understood by the wider team.
- Ensure Reuters wins the world’s biggest news stories. The editor will also support the rich photojournalism of the Wider Image.
- Ensure security and safety of the entire team and freelance staff is always a priority.
- Responsible for leading, motivating, and communicating with photographers.
- Manages editors and/or photographers
- Discovers and fosters talent, and promotes diversity.
- Drives multi-media and cross-asset story telling through collaboration with news specialists from other parts of the news file.
- Helps drive innovation and generates ideas for doing things smarter.
- Able to manage a budget and work with Head of Visuals, General Manager and Chief Photographers to ensure Editorial delivers on budget goals.
Essential Skills and Experience:
- Inspirational leader
- Excellent communication and leadership skills - able to inspire a team who generally work on their own or in small groups.
- Commitment to Reuters values - honesty, integrity and freedom from bias
- Record of running a large regional or global editorial operation
- A proven track record of leading teams to meet coverage priorities.
- Strong understanding of safety and security issues in hostile reporting environments
- Outstanding news judgment
- Can balance the ambitions of individual photographers with the needs of Reuters and its customers.
- Comfortable with leading and implementing change and open to new ideas and new ways of working.
- Understanding of the global pictures business and wider media industry
- Strong organizational skills
- An understanding of multi-million dollar budgets and a track record of delivering on them
- Comfortable representing Reuters in public
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Personal experience working in hostile environments
- A personal track record of award-winning photography
- Experience working with media other than pictures
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one – collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With over 50,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Bring your ambition to make a difference. We’ll bring a world of opportunities.
As a global business we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
Click 'Apply' now.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com