Thomson Reuters, Senior Correspondent (Saudi Arabia)
Thomson Reuters is the leading source of intelligent information for the world’s businesses and professionals. We combine industry expertise with innovative technology to deliver critical information to leading decision makers in the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting, intellectual property and science and media markets, powered by the world’s most trusted news organization.
Reuters is seeking an experienced and energetic journalist to dominate coverage of Saudi Arabia, the conservative Sunni Muslim kingdom at the heart of turbulent world energy markets and an intensifying regional power struggle with Iran.
- The successful candidate will be a self-starter with a passion to tell the story of this oil-dependent Sunni monarchy, the birthplace of Islam, as it struggles with low petroleum prices and an array of foreign policy challenges, including a cooling friendship with longtime ally the United States.
- The journalist will run a bureau in Riyadh in partnership with text, photo and TV colleagues covering a story that cuts across energy, finance, investment, diplomacy and religion as Riyadh seeks to instill self reliance in a population weaned on state largesse and protect its interests in crises from Syria and Iraq to Lebanon, Bahrain and Yemen.
- The successful candidate will have to be multi-skilled and relish a diverse array of stories: The correspondent will be adept at making and cultivating contacts in an often secretive society. The country’s dominant energy sector will be a focus, working in tandem with our Dubai based energy correspondent.
- A knack for company and financial news will be important, given the country’s aggressive forays into overseas markets in search of trophy assets and a restructuring of state energy conglomerate Saudi Aramco.
- Working with our Dubai-based financial team, the correspondent will explain what is happening to our international audience in a clear and accurate manner, both through spot and exclusive news and in analysis pieces.
- Speaking to company executives and senior officials will be an important part of the successful candidate’s job, so ease with speaking to such people and extracting information from them will be crucial.
- An eye for nuance will be essential when reporting stories about Riyadh’s increasingly assertive and activist foreign policy and its sometimes uneasy relations with other regional heavyweights like Turkey, Iran and Egypt. Saudi Arabia's ruling Al Saud royal family are trying to adjust their relationship with the country's strict Wahhabi school of Sunni Islam as they increasingly view the teachings of some of its ultra-conservative clergy as a domestic security threat.
- This high-energy seasoned journalist will be able to come up with creative ways to cover complex, sensitive stories where politics and economic often mix. The job requires dominating timings, breaking exclusive news, delivering Special Reports and INSIGHTS. We are looking for a team player who can help can work very closely with Gulf slot and work, with the Arabic desk and pictures and television.
- At least seven years of experience with a major news organisation
- Good Arabic
- Strong source-building
- Proven ability to break news
- Strong writing skills
- Proven ability to handle a range of economic and general news
- Ability to work under time pressure
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one – collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With over 50,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Bring your ambition to make a difference. We’ll bring a world of opportunities.
As a global business we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
Apply by clicking 'Apply' now.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.