The Independent, Sports Editor
The Independent is seeking a Sports Editor to take charge of its digital sports output.
The successful candidate will have a wide sporting knowledge, be ideas-driven and creative. They would work closely with the writing staff in ensuring the content is unique, challenging, comprehensive and interesting and will be able to react to breaking news stories but also to plan ahead so that large sporting events are covered imaginatively yet thoroughly.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Overseeing a team of writers in the field and directing a team of reporters in the office so that the website is fast-moving, comprehensive, varied and imaginative
- Contributing to the content of the site by writing news, comment, match reports
- Making sure content on the site is clean, accurate and well-presented
- Reacting to breaking stories in a fast and imaginative way
- Commissioning features, news stories and interviews
- Liaising with syndication partners to ensure smooth flow of copy
Key skills/experience required:
- Great contacts across the sporting landscape
- Experience of working on a national newspaper sports desk
- A working knowledge of digital publishing and SEO
- An extensive knowledge of social media
- An ability to react quickly under pressure
- The ability to lead a team
Apply by completing the application form below.