Grand Designs Magazine, Senior Sub-Editor
Grand Designs Magazine, the official magazine of the Channel 4 TV series, has an exciting opening on its team for a Senior Sub-Editor.
The ideal candidate should have at least three years’ of solid sub-editing experience, with a sound knowledge of InDesign. You need to be confident, able to work under your own initiative, full of enthusiasm and exceptionally organised to ensure the production process runs smoothly on a day-to-day basis.
You will also be responsible for managing freelance subs. You also need to be a whizz at writing creative heads and sells, be able to edit copy to ensure it is accurate and in house style, and always remain calm under pressure. An interest in self-build, architecture and design is an advantage. This role is based in Loughton, zone 6 on the Central line – please do check this is a feasible commute for you.
This is a senior, full-time position as part of a small, hardworking team. You’ll be expected to come up with creative heads and sells, be able to edit and fact-check copy to ensure it is accurate and in house style, and always remain unflappable under pressure.
You also need to be confident, able to work under your own initiative, full of enthusiasm and exceptionally organised. As well as editing copy and proof-reading, a track record in subbing is essential. An ability to run day-to-day production is essential.
- Pre-sub original copy, sub layouts and fact check
- Process pages for proofing to eds
- Take in eds’ changes and put layouts through to tweaking
- Add in changes to finals, re-PDFing for print
- Sign off final pages online with printer
- Manage batch production
- Drive production schedule
- Run daily production meetings
- Liaise with editorial, marketing, advertising and production teams as necessary
- Write contents page, heads, sells, captions
- Sign off Showcase and Classified pages
- Maintain headline list and editorial style sheet
- Manage freelance subs
- Work on brand extensions, as necessary
So – if you can take on all of the above with confidence & flair we want to hear from you! Apply now to Fran Lobel by completing the application form below with a brief covering message enclosed & attaching your CV. Short-listed candidates will be contacted promptly.