RightsInfo, Chief Executive
RightsInfo is the UK’s most exciting digital human rights project. We build support for human rights in the UK by producing engaging, accessible and beautifully presented online human rights content. In just a year and a half, we have built a new digital media space for human rights, featuring award-winning infographics, video, animation and news content. Now we are recruiting a Chief Executive to drive the project to the next level.
The Chief Executive will lead RightsInfo’s rapid development from a digital start-up to an industry-leading human rights media platform. The successful applicant will bring enthusiasm and commitment to RightsInfo’s goals and values. They will be the public face of the organisation and will help develop and implement the strategic direction with RightInfo’s Strategic Director and our Board of Trustees.
The Chief Executive will be responsible for the successful leadership and management of the organisation. This will involve recruiting and managing a team of staff, ensuring that RightsInfo continues to produce superb online content, building strategic partnerships within the digital, commercial and charitable sector and working with existing and potential funders.
RightsInfo is a highly visual project and has been created to industry-leading design standards. Journalistic, design and news media experience are desirable, digital experience is essential. The successful candidate will have a good knowledge and understanding of the UK human rights landscape. They will be politically astute and a natural leader with experience of strategic development. They will have experience managing teams, budgets and fundraising.
A year after its launch, RightsInfo is already central to the UK’s human rights landscape. No other organisation combines a cutting edge digital approach with human rights communications.
- Recruit and line manage staff and consultants;
- Be a passionate and professional advocate for RightsInfo;
- Act as a spokesperson at events and to the media;
- Develop and maintain relationships with key digital partners, opinion formers, funders and commercial partners;
- Lead the development and implementation the strategic direction of RightInfo with our Strategic Director (Adam Wagner) and Board of Trustees.
- Oversee the day-to-day running of RightsInfo, including digital content and all aspects of operational management;
- Build a culture of continuous improvement at RightsInfo;
- Ensure that RightsInfo is a fun and positive place to work;
- Line manage members of staff including the Creative Director, Coordinator and two Digital Content Creators;
- Work with the team to ensure that our products continue to be engaging, accurate, innovative and beautifully presented;
- Work with stakeholders to develop appropriate Key Performance Indicators and provide regular reports and feedback to the board of trustees, funders, and other stakeholders.
Finance and governance
- Take responsibility for fundraising and the financial well-being of RightsInfo;
- Ensure that sound bookkeeping and accounting procedures are followed;
- Provide regular operational and financial updates for the trustees, and attend meetings of the Board of Trustees;
- Ensure compliance with the regulatory frameworks governing RightsInfo;
- Ensure that the Board receives appropriate advice and information on all relevant matters and enable it to fulfil its governance responsibilities; and support the trustees to manage the risk profile of the charity.
- The experience and skills of candidates are more important to us than formal academic qualifications, although we would typically expect the Chief Executive to be educated to at least degree level.
Skills and qualities
- A belief in and commitment to human rights;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Strong leadership skills;
- Ability to juggle multiple projects and deadlines;
- Permission to live and work in the UK.
Essential knowledge and experience
- At least 3 years of management experience;
- Digital experience (such as news media/analytics/social media/online advertising/website maintenance);
- Experience of delivering projects from conception to completion;
- Sound understanding and experience of fundraising in either the charitable or commercial sector;
- Financial reporting and budgeting experience;
- Ability to lead and influence others;
- Public speaking experience.
Desirable knowledge and experience
- Good knowledge of the UK’s human rights landscape;
- Commercial experience;
- Editorial experience;
- Setting up a successful digital project and/or startup;
- Journalism and media experience;
- Experience of pitching PR or creative projects to clients.
Position within the organisation:
- The Chief Executive will lead the organisation on a day to day basis. S/he will line manage all staff and consultants except for the Strategic Director.
- The founder of RightsInfo, Adam Wagner, is remaining as Strategic Director on a one day per week consultancy basis. He will provide expert advice to RightsInfo strategic matters.
- Key strategic decisions will be taken in conjunction with the Strategic Director and Trustee Board.
- The Chief Executive and Strategic Director are answerable to the Trustee Board.
Hours: Full time. Office hours are typically 9.30-5.30 and some evening and weekend work will be required. As a progressive employer we offer some flexibility to allow for an effective work-life balance.
Holiday: 28 days per year in addition to statutory holidays.
Location: Central London
RightsInfo will provide the Chief Executive with developmental courses, training and mentorship to better enable them to lead the organisation.
We actively encourage applications from people with a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives.
For further info and to apply, click 'Apply' now.