Newsweek Europe, Director of Photography
Newsweek Europe is looking for an experienced director of photography to join its team in London.
As photo director, you’ll play a leading role in the creation of editorial features, cover design and digital content that reflects our approach to visual storytelling.
Role and Responsibilities
- Work with the art director and editors to create bold, impactful covers and features for Newsweek Europe
- Commission photographers for assignments in Europe, the Middle East and other overseas territories
- Research, edit and help select photography for weekly magazine features and culture stories.
- Work with the editors and the photo editors in New York to research and select the Big Shots photography for the front of the book
- Lead visual projects and bring innovative visual concepts (e.g. VR) into the newsroom
- Commission and source photo essays for the website and magazine, as well as thinking up smart approaches to writing on photography
- Ensure the consistency of visual standards across our magazine pages and website
Desired skills and experience
- Bachelor’s degree in photography, photojournalism or other relevant discipline, or equivalent professional experience
- At least 3-4 years of relevant professional experience in media/publishing (both digital and print)
- Strong aesthetic sensibility and visual editing skills
- Ability to work well with the team to select and commission engaging photography, and ability to work with writers and editors to help shape the reader’s experience
- Skilled at communicating and presenting visual concepts, and explaining the design rationale behind them
- Excellent communication and organisational skills, and a strong adherence to deadlines
- Efficiency in a fast-paced and highly collaborative news environment
- Experience dealing with picture rights, and liaising with PRs and agencies
- Broad network of photographer contacts and confidence assigning photographers for a range of editorial purposes
- Advanced proficiency using Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Bridge, Lightroom and Premiere Pro) and Acrobat Pro. Experience with K4 a plus.
Apply by completing the application form below.
Apply for Newsweek Europe, Director of Photography
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly