FT Confidential Research, Head of Production - Maternity Cover
The Financial Times (FT) is one of the world’s leading business news and information organisations.We are recognised globally for our authority, integrity and accuracy. We provide a broad range of essential services, including news, comment, data and analysis, to the growing audience of internationally minded business people.
FT Confidential Research, an independent research service from the Financial Times providing statistical insight into China and Asean, is recruiting a Head of Production to cover a maternity leave in its London-based production team.
FT Confidential Research is going through an exciting transition and expanding its subscriber base by moving the content to FT.com, available to premium subscribers.
The small London-based team needs someone to head the production department whilst taking part in the day-to-day production duties as well as being an important member of the global research teams, coming up with ideas for graphics and making sure the production department is capable to produce high-quality graphics and content suitable for the FT.com audience.
- Producing and publishing FT Confidential Research content
- Charts and graphics: Creating charts and infographics and constantly coming up with ideas on how to display data most efficiently; collaborating with the researchers in London and Asia to get raw data for charts
- Editing: Proofreading copy, checking data and editing charts, ensuring house style has been used throughout; uploading articles, charts and graphics to FT.com
- Scheduling: Managing publishing deadlines, ensuring a steady flow of articles; maintaining the daily production schedule and collaborating with researchers and Principals on scheduling future projects and making sure production can handle the workload
- Videos, podcasts and social media content: Booking time at the FT audio studio and record audio for videos and podcasts; editing the videos and podcasts; uploading the recordings to FT.com and social media sites
- Marketing: Creating marketing collateral including print and online ads, content for social media and occasional presentations for the research team
Branding and web development
- Acting as the brand guardian and ensuring all published content adheres to FTCR brand guidelines
- Maintaining graphics templates and exploring new graphics programmes to take into use
- Key member in developing and maintaining the FTCR feed page on FT.com, attending regular meetings; making suggestions and changes to the site; liaising with the FT web production team; a key contact between the research teams and the developers; training new staff on the publishing system
Line-management duties to the production team
- Providing training and support for the production team members; ensuring work produced by them is correct and adhering to house style; sharing workload and providing cover when needed; setting up objectives and assisting in their career development
- Main contact for external departments
- Design department: Main point of contact with the design department on their availability to help if needed
- Freelancers: Commissioning freelance cover for busy periods or over holidays
- Printers: Dealing with external printers for brochures or special reports
- IT: Handling all IT-related orders and upgrades for software and hardware for the production department
- FT Graphics department: Keeping regular contact with FT’s graphics department and exchanging ideas
Subscriptions and accounts
- Managing stock image subscriptions and social media accounts
- Main point of contact for FTCR archived content between 2009-2016
- Maintaining FTCR archive on the server and backing up all published copy and graphics
- Experience, Skills and Qualifications The successful candidate must be flexible, reliable and able to work as a part of a global team and independently to tight deadlines. Good communication skills and ability to keep calm under pressure are essential.
- Experience in running a busy publishing production department
- Excellent command of English and a good eye for detail
- Experience in creating and maintaining brand guidelines
- Several years’ experience in information graphic design, cartography and data visualisation
- Expertise in Adobe creative suite, especially Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign
- Great Excel skills and proficiency in other Microsoft Office programmes
- Numeracy, statistical thinking and the ability to ‘design with data’
- Graphic design qualification
- Experience using Adobe Audition and Premiere Pro
- Background in financial publishing
Click 'Apply' now.