Fast Track, Business Researcher
Do you have a strong interest in the UK’s top private companies and entrepreneurs?
Oxford-based Fast Track is seeking two bright and self-motivated business researchers to join our team to research companies, interview entrepreneurs and write about them for our seven annual league tables of Britain’s top-performing private companies, published in The Sunday Times.
The ideal candidate
Attracted to working full-time in Oxford for a small entrepreneurial company, you will be a graduate with two to five years’ experience in a relevant field such as the research departments of accountancy firms, consultancies, private equity, law and banking, or financial journalism/PR.
Use your initiative to identify top-performing private companies and diligently capture company financials, using internet sources, news articles, financial databases and company accounts
Conduct telephone and face-to-face interviews with entrepreneurs, CEOs and finance directors, and write short accurate profiles and reports from the findings
Work on ad hoc research projects, helping to improve our research techniques
Help foster good relationships with the companies we research on the phone and at company visits to promote the benefits of our league tables and to encourage the directors to attend our dinners
Help service our blue-chip sponsors such as Barclays, BDO, Grant Thornton, HSBC and Linklaters
Provide support to our events team at our national networking awards dinners (up to seven evenings a year)
- Strong interest in private companies and entrepreneurs
- Meticulous attention to detail, service-oriented, organised with excellent inter-personal and communication skills
- Competent at using the internet and preferably also financial data sources, such as Companies House, Experian’s MarketIQ and BvD’s Fame, as research tools
- Able to be flexible and adapt at short notice, and be a team player
Desirable – at least one of the following:
- Able to write confidently and accurately
- Some accountancy training
- Some experience of customer account handling
- Strong IT skills, preferably Excel and Access, and helpful to have some WordPress or InDesign experience
There is plenty of scope for the right candidate to take on additional responsibilities within our team. These could include:
- Progress to project-manage one or more of our seven league table programmes, from research to publication and awards dinner
- Assist in drafting Fast Track’s extensive written output in print and social media, including guest and speaker profiles, tweets and thought-leadership reports
- Fast Track is based in Oxford and was founded in 1997. It is the UK’s leading research and networking events company focused on top-performing private companies and entrepreneurs, and publishes seven annual league tables ranking them in The Sunday Times
- We employ 22 permanent members of staff and 6 freelance researchers, some of whom have worked with Fast Track for over 10 years. One third of our staff are Oxford graduates
- Our seven private company league table award programmes identify the most successful companies, from the fastest-growing to the biggest; and our c.30 invitation-only networking awards and alumni dinners create valuable networking opportunities for their entrepreneurial directors and our sponsors
- We conduct 300 research visits each year to companies shortlisted for our league tables, accompanied by partners and directors from our sponsors, where we interview the founders, chief executives and finance directors
- Our annual flagship conference and awards dinner is hosted by Sir Richard Branson – past speakers include Sir Richard and Sir James Dyson
Please email applications by completing the application form below including:-
- A one-page cover letter, stating your relevant experience, why you are interested in the role, current salary and where you saw the vacancy
- Your CV
Any questions, please call Hannah Scrimshaw on 01865 297 100. First round interviews will be held on the afternoon/evening of Thursday 3 November.