Yandell Media Group, Editor - Travel & Leisure Division
An opportunity has arisen to join our family-run, niche media company in Milton Keynes as editor of its travel and leisure publishing portfolio which includes two magazines, two websites, e-newsletters, plus a range of annual publications, supplements and directories.
About the titles
Group Leisure is the UK’s number one magazine for people who organise group trips and holidays and is published monthly. Its aim is to inspire group travel organisers with the latest news and ideas for day excursions, theatre trips, short breaks, as well as European and long-haul travel. Plus, the magazine’s website is updated daily and throughout the week with exclusive content with plans afoot to significantly upgrade it this year.
School Travel Organiser is a bi-monthly magazine posted to thousands of teachers throughout the UK to give ideas and advice when it comes to learning outside the classroom.
Each issue is full of new ideas and suggestions for all types of school trips for both primary and secondary schools so teachers can find things that link to the curriculum at all Key Stages.
The website allows for even more content to be published throughout the week and is also part of our online upgrade plans.
As editor you’re responsible for all content across the print and online portfolio. We’re looking for someone who is a good creative thinker, who uses their initiative and is used to working under pressure to meet constant deadlines. Being organised and having first class attention is essential.
You will be expected to act as an ambassador for the brands and work with the publisher and advertising sales managers to ensure products are commercially successful. You will create content that is appealing to our audience, keeping tone to style.
As well as writing, editing and commissioning pieces, you’ll also be expected to contribute ideas for developing the media you’re responsible for and attend launches, events and exhibitions.
This can mean working weekends and evenings, and there will also be overseas assignments on occasion but you will be in the office a great deal more than a departure lounge. This is no 9-5 job but it can be huge fun and very rewarding.
There are some very exciting aspects to the job but it also comes with the responsibility of updating a number of directories to ensure their listings are accurate. You need to be great at admin to ensure you and your editorial team are organised.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Line management and development of the editorial team.
- Oversee and edit our printed issues, from cover to cover working with our design team.
- Daily upkeep of our websites; keeping content relevant and working with the CMS to create news and features with eye catching headlines, and to update existing pages.
- Write news stories and features for both the magazine and website, in addition to conducting interviews with anyone from a group organiser, tour operator, to a teacher or a star of the West End stage.
- Organise workload through the in-house team and, where required, via freelance contributors.
- Planning of each printed issue, within a rolling plan that meets the needs of the readers, whilst satisfying the marketing needs of advertisers.
- Work with the commercial team to ensure advertisers are kept happy.
- Source relevant stories, turning them into quality content through research and by developing relationships with the travel and leisure industry, including PR companies.
- Increase visibility of our own online content, increasing traffic and brand awareness by working with external contacts and through our social media channels.
- Overseeing the reader awards of both magazines and promoting our events, including an annual exhibition for travel organisers at the NEC.
- Report on effectiveness of content and engagement to see what’s working through web and e-marketing analytics.
The successful candidate will have:
- Previous experience as an editor, deputy editor or section editor.
- Fast, accurate and yet superb writing and editing skills with a proven ability to produce sparkling copy and help the editorial team do the same.
- A keen understanding of SEO and an eagerness to evolve best practice.
- Previously worked with content management systems for producing web content.
- Experience managing social media channels.
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills.
- The ability to keep calm under pressure.
- Experience of the travel/leisure and/or education markets would be an advantage but is not essential.
We will only contact applicants who are successful in obtaining an interview and may close the position early if we find the right person so do apply without delay.
Please complete the application form below to send your CV and include a covering letter, addressed to Rob Yandell, outlining why you're interested in the position and feel you have the skills and experience we are looking for. Also include your salary expectations.