Royal Institution, Head of Marketing and Communications - Maternity Cover
- Full Time
The Royal Institution’s (Ri) purpose is to harness science for the maximum benefit of society. But to achieve the full benefits of what science has to offer, we must ensure there is a healthy and dynamic interaction between science, culture and society. Home to eminent scientists such as Michael Faraday, Humphry Davy and Kathleen Lonsdale, the Ri’s discoveries have helped to shape the modern world. Just as importantly these scientists recognised the importance of sharing their work with the wider public.
Today we continue our mission as a registered charity providing science education and heritage activities for people of all ages and backgrounds across the UK and around the world.
These activities include the world-famous CHRISTMAS LECTURES; public talks from the world’s greatest thinkers in our historic lecture theatre; a national programme of Masterclasses for young people in mathematics, engineering and computer science; hands-on science workshops in our L’Oréal Young Scientist Centre; animations and films from our award-winning Ri Channel and the preservation of our scientific legacy through the Faraday Museum and archival collections.
Find out more at rigb.org and richannel.org.
The Head of Marketing and Communications has overall responsibility for creating and implementing the Ri’s marketing, communications and membership strategies in accordance with the organisation’s ambitious and exciting strategy and business objectives.
This includes oversight of all strategic communications with external audiences, working closely with every Ri team to identify and maximise opportunities to bring the Ri’s mission and achievements to life. This should be achieved through a diverse mix of marketing, advertising and media campaigns using the full range of traditional and digital tools available.
An important component of the role is the development and implementation of external communications policies, as well as establishing and policing house style and branding guidelines.
In addition, the role has particular responsibility for the membership growth and retention strategy, delivered through the Membership Manager.
Main duties of the role
Media and Communications
- Act as the strategic lead and manage and deliver the organisation’s media and PR strategy, including responsibility for all major PR campaigns such as the CHRISTMAS LECTURES, in line with the charity’s five year business objectives
- Act as the strategic lead for all media engagement, pro-active and re-active, and provide appropriate support, training and resources for senior Ri spokespeople
- Oversee the development and implementation of external communications policies and procedures
- Act as the strategic lead for all marketing and advertising campaigns and activities in line with the charity’s five year business objectives
- Manage the production and dissemination of all marketing and communications material across all departments in line with the established house style and branding guidelines
- Oversee the nature and tone of content, and adherence to branding, across the organisation’s digital channels, in consultation with the Digital Manager
- Act as the strategic lead for Membership within the Ri, setting and overseeing the development and implementation of Membership growth and retention strategies carried out by the Membership Manager
- Oversee and support the Membership Manager in the development and delivery of campaigns to recruit and retain members as well as marketing campaigns across all channels
- Act as an organisational champion for Membership at high level meetings, maintaining a detailed understanding of the work of the Membership Manager and Membership Officer
Management Group responsibilities
- As a member of the Management Group (MG), contribute to the overall operational direction and delivery of the organisation
- Attend and actively participate in monthly MG meetings and implement actions as required
Management responsibilities for those reporting to you
- Manage and supervise the Marketing and Communications team, in line with relevant employment law and Ri policies, to enable them to perform their duties effectively.
- Set objectives and manage performance, including appraisals
- Delegate responsibility for tasks, where appropriate, and oversee progress
- Identify and support development needs to enable staff to fulfil their potential
- Recruit and select team members to meet organisational needs consistent and in line with legislation, policies and procedures.
Budget-holder responsibilities – in conjunction with the Ri Finance Team
- Prepare, manage and deliver the Marketing and Communications budget and the Membership budget
- Assess and forecast financial performance, including comparison of actuals to budget, consider outlook, and manage activity to deliver agreed financial outcomes.
- Prepare for monthly financial results and forecast meetings with the Finance Team
General responsibilities applicable to all staff
- Understand and support the vision, mission and aims of the Ri;
- Maintain awareness of your own and others’ Health and Safety, and comply with the Ri’s Health and Safety policy;
- Adhere to and champion the Ri’s policy and practices on Child Safeguarding.
- Take appropriate responsibility for records held, created or used as part of your work for the Ri (paper-based and electronic) as per the Data Protection Act 1998.
- Encourage team working and effective communication with colleagues.
- Act as a representative of the Ri and deal with Ri customers, stakeholders and the public in a professional manner at all times.
- Comply with Ri financial policies and practices as applicable.
- Undertake other duties as may be reasonably requested of your post.
This job description will be subject to review in the light of changing circumstances and is not intended to be rigid or inflexible, but should be regarded as providing guidelines and accountabilities within which the individual works.
Skills, experience and knowledge
- Demonstrable experience of promoting an organisation through effective media relations, including pro-active campaigns and re-active reputation management
- Demonstrable experience of planning and executing targeted marketing and advertising campaigns across a range of both traditional and digital platforms
- Demonstrable ability to monitor and assess marketing and media strategy and activities success/failure against key business objectives
- Experience in developing and upholding organisation-wide communications policies and procedures
- Experience of managing multiple third party delivery partners
- Strong understanding of digital marketing and design tools, CMS and database systems
- Some experience of people management and ability to deliver operational requirements of a given function
- Undertaken people management training.
- Experience of budget management and cost control, including an understanding of financial terminology e.g. income, expenditure, variances etc
- Proven ability to develop comprehensive and well-reasoned budgets
- Strong understanding of the Ri’s mission and activities
- Educated to degree level or equivalent
- Excellent interpersonal skills with proven ability to work collaboratively
- Able to find pragmatic solutions, seek improvements, and adapt to changing situations
- Excellent relationship building skills
- Able to present information, verbally and in writing, in a clear and concise manner, with excellent attention to detail
- Positive “can do” attitude and willingness to support others where needed
- Ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced environment
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office, with a willingness to learn and use new systems
- Willingness to work occasional evenings and weekends, if required
Contract type: Fixed term maternity cover from May 2017.
Closing date: Midnight 27 February 2017
Click 'Apply' now.
The Ri is an Equal Opportunities Employer.