Findmypast, Head of Content and PR - Maternity Cover
One of the leading websites for family research in the world, Findmypast has helped to transform the way people discover their ancestors. We work tirelessly to digitize and preserve the world's national archives for future generations to enjoy.
We're a British-owned company with 18 million registered users across a plethora of websites including Findmypast (UK/US/IE/AU), Genes Reunited and The British Newspaper Archive (UK/US/IE/AU).
And if you thought family history was a little dry and dusty, think again! We're a passionate bunch of people who take pride in everything we do. Constantly innovating to ensure we remain a leading force in the world of family history, we only hire the best people for the job. In return we offer a vibrant workplace.
Our quirky head office is based in a converted chapel in London's trendy Old Street. And because we know a happy team is a productive one, we work as hard at making the office a fun environment for everyone to work in.
So whether it's free fruit, contributory pension, subsidized gym membership, cycle to work schemes or a complimentary lunch once a month – you'll find the perks are pretty good at Findmypast.
And we know it’s not just what you do, but how you do it, so Findmypast values are an important part of how we work. Our four values Be Bold, Be Honest, Be Brilliant and Be Caring are at the heart of everything we do.
There’s over 100 people work in our London head office, but we've also got offices in New York, Provo, Sydney, Dublin and Dundee. This role manages staff in the London, New York and Dublin offices.
We are looking for an ambitious, self-driven and commercially savvy Head of Content and PR.
You will oversee the existing content and PR teams based in our London, New York and Dublin offices. This role involves juggling multiple projects and working alongside key stakeholders across the business. You must be a great communicator and be bursting with ideas for how we can continually put content at the heart of what we do.
Working alongside the Director of Marketing, the Head of Content oversees all marketing content initiatives, both internal and external, across multiple platforms to drive registrations and subscriptions, engagement, retention, and positive customer behaviour.
They will drive brand awareness and engagement, identifying and championing all opportunities for future growth. This will dovetail with the overall department’s vision as set by the CMO.
The Head of Content & PR also oversees public relations, communications, and social media. They define and relate both the brand story and the story as interpreted by the customer. Through planning and overseeing varied, relevant and engaging digital content, they make family history research accessible and attractive to a broad audience.
We are looking for someone who can bring creativity, imagination and energy into the company’s communications; we want them to contribute ideas and lead creative strategies to help Findmypast be more effective within both its existing audience and new markets.
They will manage a team of writers (based in London, New York and Dublin), and organise tasks within a demanding and varied workload.
- Mapping out a content, social media and PR strategy that supports and extends marketing initiatives, both short- and long-term.
- Leveraging market data to develop appropriate and effective content/PR themes. This should result in a functional and targeted strategy which continually evolves to remain pertinent to business direction, specific record releases and wider trends.
- Developing innovative digital content campaigns and social media strategies to leverage new media, reach new audiences, strengthen and broaden an engaged online community, and increase positive sentiment.
- Working with external agencies to develop and implement national and international PR plans.
- Ensuring all content is on-brand, consistent in style, quality and tone of voice, and optimised for search and user experience for all channels including online, social media, email, mobile, video, and print.
- Oversee the production of content for email marketing, press releases, site content, social media, marketing campaigins, articles on external sites, webinars and all other channels.
- Write and/or edit key articles, communications and press releases.
- Gauging the effectiveness of content against given KPIs. Reviewing data and analytics and making recommendations based on the results. Working with the wider team to revise and measure particular content and PR goals.
- Developing standards, systems and best practices for content creation, distribution, and maintenance.
- Ensuring consistent global experience; localising content for different territories, and disseminating it as appropriate.
- Managing a team of writers; defining and maintaining the house tone of voice and being an arbiter of best practice in grammar, messaging, writing and style.
- Participation in the hiring and supervising of members of the content team and external agencies.
- Working closely with the design team on all creative and branding initiatives to ensure a consistent message across channels.
Essential Skills and Experience
- Degree (or equivalent) level qualification ideally in English or History
- 8+ years of experience in online editorial with prior experience of developing brand tone of voice and using content to influence product development
- Solid management experience and the ability to lead and inspire teams of creative people and content creators to achieve the company’s stated goals.
- Substantial experience in digital content and social media strategies
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills. Proven editorial skills and outstanding command of the English language.
- Project management skills to create imaginative campaigns, and manage editorial schedules and deadlines within short-term, long-term and ongoing campaigns.
- Expertise in all major business software applications (Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office, etc.).
- HR-related experience including hiring, managing, performance reviews, compensation packages, etc.
- Self-motivation, ambition, and a passion for online editorial
- Ability to work creatively, effectively and efficiently to deliver outcomes to an agreed standard and timetable, and thereby ensure timely messaging and smooth workflow with the wider team.
- Familiarity with various CMS systems, web analytics tools (Google Analytics), social media marketing applications (HootSuite, Tweetdeck, etc.) and leading social media monitoring platforms.
- A passion for and knowledge of British and international history
- Knowledge of the latest platforms, technology tools and content marketing
– 3% employee and 3% employer contribution
We also offer a flexible benefits system where you can select from the following benefits up to the value of 3% of salary:
Additional 3% employer contribution (must be matched by employee)
- Private medical cover
- Health cash plan
- Dental cash plan
- Corporate gym discounts
- It’s also an option to have your benefits allowance paid as a cash amount.
- Childcare vouchers
- Cycle to work
- Season travel tickets
Click 'Apply' now!