Best, Celebrity Editor
MAIN PURPOSE OF THE JOB:
To head up the magazine’s key department – the celebrity desk. To manage the team and ensure we bring in the best celebrity news and features in the business.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- To deliver the main cover stories for best on a weekly basis and deal with the potential legal problems that this will involve.
- Understand what makes a celebrity story in best and to be fully aware of the content of the opposition.
- To originate celebrity stories by speaking to celebrities, agents, photographers, writers, and other celebrity contacts.
- To generate celebrity ideas for the daily conference, and at other times if requested.
- To write, edit and commission celebrity stories and to write copy, headlines, sells and captions.
SCOPE OF THE ROLE:
- To oversee a team of journalists, including freelancers, so experience in the area is preferred,
- As celebrity editor you will be permanently ‘on’ bringing in new stories:
- You will be expected to offer up cover ideas for best every week
- You will attend or get your team to attend parties, premieres, launches and other celebrity events out of normal office hours, as required.
- You will also be expected to check news developments at weekends and out of office.
- Proven experience working on a national newspaper in the showbiz department or on a classic magazine.
- Experience of commissioning features and contracts.
- Previous experience of directly managing a team of in house journalists.
- Excellent contacts with PRs, agents, photographers, writers and celebrities.
- Fully versed with legal and IPSO issues.
- Already a skilled writer, with experience of editing other people’s copy and headline writing.
- A good clear communicator as the role also involved liaising with other departments in the magazine.
- Experience of managing on a tight editorial budget.
- A good nose for stories and commercial acumen as to the trends going on in the business.
Apply by clicking 'Apply' now.