Travelopia, Press Officer
The Press Officer will help take ownership and accountability for all external communications for some of our most established worldwide travel brands – namely award-winning long haul tour operator Hayes & Jarvis and Australasia specialist, Austravel.
In addition the role will also assist in PR activity for some of the other Travelopia brands including luxury specialist, Sovereign and leading Italian holiday specialist, Citalia as well as its trade only brand Travelmood.
This is an extremely exciting role that rarely becomes available. The role will work as part of a small team to manage these specialist brands to achieve maximum PR exposure both in the media and online, ensuring synergy across all brand communication.
Working collaboratively with the marketing, product, social, online and commercial teams the Press Officer will work with the Head of PR to ensure the PR activity supports the brands growth aspirations. Destination knowledge and understanding the brand’s continually changing needs will be key to achieving this.
The Press Officer will need the ability to work on their own initiative and be extremely comfortable writing press material, statements, selling in new ideas to a wide range of media and managing existing and new media relationships.
This role reports into the Head of PR and in particular works closely with social media, the wider PR team and other internal departments and external media.
What you will be doing:
- Assist in managing the busy press office to a high standard, in order that external stakeholders and more specifically journalists view it as a reliable, useful and credible source of information, with all requests actioned quickly, efficiently and in an appropriate manner.
- Escorting press trips overseas.
- Develop excellent media relationships with a view to driving key messages both off and online, while maintaining existing relationships.
- Act as a credible spokesperson for Hayes & Jarvis and other Travelopia brands, ensuring content and tone of voice is adapted to suit the brand and/or media.
- Day to day handling of reactive media enquiries. Ensuring all communication into the press office is actioned quickly and reflect the company’s values.
- Proposing, pitching and writing press releases on newsworthy stories and distributing to appropriate media.
- Planning and setting up press facility trips including pitching ideas to key media, logistics coordination and brand guardian.
- Work very closely with the multi-channel departments, (in particular Marketing and online to ensure synergy across the brands) and identify areas of the business needing additional promotion and awareness and implement activity as relevant.
- Evaluate and analyse press coverage using a dedicated PR analytics tool.
- Manage media responses to day-to-day incidents, ensuring damage to the brands and the reputation of Travelopia is minimised as well as produce statements for crisis management.
- Monitor the external reputation of the brand and adapt style aswell as respond to any issues accordingly.
- Work with Internal Communications to ensure that internal and external announcements and messages are aligned and fit with the company values.
- Working with the Head of PR and Senior Press Officer to help plan a proactive PR strategy and implement an annual activity plan.
- Build own destination / product knowledge and understanding of the key competitors.
- Awareness of the social media needs and integration with the respective Social and Online Media teams including that of bloggers.
- Develop blogger relationships to maximise content across all areas and generate maximum reach through the use of social media with key objectives.
What we are looking for:
- Experience of using a wide range of PR tools effectively to develop proactive PR campaigns (including online PR)
- Minimum of three years’ experience working in a busy Press Office environment and of juggling business priorities with a separate media agenda.
- Previous work experience in travel PR would be advantageous.
- Ability to establish relationships with people at all levels in sometimes high pressurised situations.
- Ability to influence key stakeholders and network across both internal and external contacts.
- Strong creative writing skills with the ability to write in a range of different styles.
- A good understanding of the key issues affecting the travel and holiday industry.
- Proven media contacts – in particular, but not limited to, travel media (consumer, trade and online press) and the ability to build new contacts.
- Understanding and experience in working with a multi-channel strategy to integrate the online PR channels through PR activity.
- Proven experience of working with online media including producing dedicated blogger campaigns.
- Act a credible ambassador for the brands and able to influence external audiences in an appropriate manner.
- Experience of handling incidents/issues including preparation of statements, Q&A’s, spokesperson briefings and acting as a spokesperson themselves.
- Capable of understanding the bigger picture, with an eye for detail.
- Understands the sensitive nature of some of the issues they will be involved in and an ability to be both diplomatic and discreet.
The role will be located in Crawley, West Sussex.
The role will be required at times to work outside of normal office hours to manage potential ‘incidents’ and to travel abroad escorting media.
How to apply:
Please click 'Apply' now - the application process consists of answering a few questions and uploading your CV.
Operating across the globe including Europe, Australia, North America and Canada, we’re passionate about being the best and pride ourselves on the unique and diverse range of holiday experiences we offer our customers. Our combined businesses are the world’s largest provider of specialist and experiential travel with a range of unique experiences, from private jets, polar expeditions, sailing, ski holidays and more.
Join us and in return you'll be rewarded with:
- Competitive salary
- Various employee discounts and offers
- Childcare vouchers & cycle to work scheme
- Contributory Pension scheme
- Career progression opportunities
Please note that for all benefits, details were accurate as at the date of publication. Any changes will be notified to you upon your start with the Company.