BESA, Communications Coordinator
About the role:
This role requires working on the delivery of all of BESA’s communications to all its stakeholders (e.g. members, media, government) through the media, website, newsletters, PowerPoint presentations, speeches, marketing collateral and social media – alongside undertaking research work and CRM maintenance.
There will be innumerous opportunities to write articles / blogs on a wide range of topics relation to the education industry. You will have direct access to the directors, both of whom have held senior posts in comms roles.
Detailed duties and responsibilities:
- Developing and implementing BESA’s PR strategy
- Writing and editing BESA’s newsletter, case studies, speeches, articles, PowerPoint presentations and blogs
- Researching, writing and distributing press releases to targeted media
- Liaising with, and answering enquiries from media, individuals and other organisations, often via telephone and email
- Preparing and supervising the production of publicity brochures, handouts, direct mail leaflets, promotional videos, photographs, films and multimedia programmes
- Proofreading articles, newsletters and marketing collateral
- Maintaining and updating information on BESA’s website
- Maintaining BESA’s media database in the CRM
- Communicating with colleagues and key stakeholders, including members, schools, politicians and the media
- Collating and analysing media / social media coverage
- Engaging with users on social media sites such as Twitter and LinkedIn
- Sourcing and managing speaking opportunities
- Fostering community relations through events such as open days and through involvement in community initiatives
- Managing the PR aspect of a potential crisis situation
What you have to offer:
- Educated to a degree level, or equivalent work experience
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to communicate effectively at all levels, both internally and externally
- A portfolio of published written work e.g. blogs/press releases/ articles
- Excellent drafting skills, including proofreading, and ability to write engaging copy
- Passionate about social media, and a “Twitter native”
- Experience in use of databases, PowerPoint, Word, Outlook and Excel
- Excellent presentation skills and telephone manner with the confidence to engage with a wide range of companies and stakeholders, often with individuals at a senior level
- Strong organisational skills, with an ability to juggle a number of tasks under pressure
- Personable, engaging individual who has the ability to add value to the overall team effort
- Enthusiastic and committed to achieving both individual and organisational goals, demonstrating a clear understanding of BESA and what it is trying to achieve.
- Competitive salary
- Pension scheme
- 25 days holiday plus bank holidays
- The role is a permanent position with a three-month probationary period
How to apply:
Submit your CV, a covering letter and two blogs/articles/press releases you have written by completing the application form below outlining your interest in the role, and specifying why you would like to work at BESA in particular.
Please note that to be shortlisted, you do need to demonstrate in your covering letter that you have researched BESA and understand what it does. Applications submitted without an accompanying covering letter containing this specification will be not be considered.
Application deadline: 5pm on Friday 21 April 2017.
Estimated start date: Immediate, although notice periods are fully taken into account.
BESA, the British Educational Suppliers Association, is the trade association covering the entirety of the UK educational suppliers sector. It operates on a not-for-profit basis, and is accountable to an Executive Council that is elected by member companies.
It has an 80-year heritage serving the UK education sector, and represents over 400 educational suppliers in the UK, including manufacturers and distributors of equipment, materials, books, consumables, furniture, technology, ICT hardware and EdTech to the education market.