Red, Art Editor
- This role is responsible for art-editing and designing layouts across print and digital aspects of the brand.
- To deputise for the Creative Director in their absence.
- This role reports to the Creative Director.
- The Art Editor will also offer support to the Art team of Cosmopolitan on some occasions via the production hub.
MAIN TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Discuss visual ideas with the Creative Director and the departments concerned. When requested brief illustrators, stylists and photographers.
- Attend photo shoots when requested by the Creative Director.
- Translate the words and ideas of the departments (Features, Fashion, etc.) into suitable layouts, liaising closely with the relevant department heads.
- View the portfolios of artists and illustrators regularly and make recommendations to the Creative Director.
- Work with the Photography Director to be aware of the editorial budgets laid down for the magazine’s photo expenditure.
- Work closely with the editorial and production staff, especially the Workflow Director and Chief Sub-Editor, to ensure that work flows efficiently and on time. When the Creative Director isn’t there – making decisions on layouts and making sure the workflow is kept to deadline.
- Be aware of the production schedule for the magazine’s editorial pages.
- Ensure work is allocated to each member of the design team and is finished to schedule in the absence of the Creative Director.
- Maintain a thorough knowledge of the print process from layout to reproduction, printing and binding.
- Be able to colour-correct all proofs, ensuring the high overall quality of reproduction is maintained.
- Remain fully involved with and have knowledge of all aspects of pre-press; namely:
- Colour management, including changing and enhancing colour for press
- Image manipulation
- Cut-outs including sending cut outs to external company
- Mark up complex retouching work for in-house pre media team, ensuring work is done to schedule.
- Maintain and improve the high standard of design in the magazine, and look for fresh ideas and solutions.
- Design magazine-related projects and brand extensions as decided by the Creative Director.
- Assist the Creative Director as and when requested.
- Manage and mentor junior members of the Art team to develop their full potential.
- Run the Red Instagram along with the rest of the art team.
- Create in-house illustrations as required by the Creative Director.
- Demonstrable experience working within a similar role for a magazine brand.
- Digital design experience and ability to adapt to new technology as required.
- Experience commissioning illustrations.
- Experience art directing photography.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Experience managing a team.
- Excellent and continually developed knowledge of magazine design, typography, photography and illustration.
- Excellent understanding of working within a team and transpiring vision and implementing and developing concepts.
- Proven experience using initiative and making design decisions.
- Passion, enthusiasm and an endless supply of new ideas.
- Ability to assist the Creative Director in day to day team management.
- Maintain a professional attitude to work, setting a good example to junior members of the team by ensuring punctuality, approaching tasks with enthusiasm and purpose and taking on all tasks willingly.
Click 'Apply' now.
*When uploading your CV, please include five recent examples of your work within the document*