Sunday Express, Deputy Political Editor
The Sunday Express is seeking a talented Deputy Political Editor to join our dynamic team.
The Deputy Political Editor has a prominent role on the newspaper that includes breaking news stories, interviews, comment and analysis so you will need the ability to explain complex issues in a way that is engaging and relevant to the Sunday Express readership.
Predominately based in Westminster, this is a great opportunity for a first class story getter with boundless enthusiasm and lots of ideas.
- To enhance the Sunday Express’s political coverage and provide editorial leadership and guidance to colleagues
- To deliver high professional standards of journalism, ensuring consistency of policy, style and editorial content
- To engage with a wide network of contacts and to break stories
- To provide on-going support to the Political Editor
Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- Substantial journalistic experience and proven editorial judgement
- Excellent track record in originating story ideas and breaking stories
- An authoritative knowledge of politics
- A high level of analytical and reporting skills
- A detailed understanding of the logistical requirements of print newsgathering and output
- A thorough knowledge of the Editor’s Code of Conduct together with an understanding Express Newspapers’ editorial considerations and values
- A high level of organisational and communication skills
- Journalistic skills: The ability to originate, develop and respond to stories
- Decision Making: Is ready and able to take the initiative, originate action and be responsible for the consequences of the decisions made
- Creative Thinking: Is able to transform ideas into reality. Can look at existing situations and problems in novel ways and come up with creative solutions
- Leadership: Ability to create a vision and inspire others to realise it
- Managing Relationships: Able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people and sensitively manage difficult situations.
This is an excellent opportunity to take a senior role on the Sunday Express.
If you are interested in this position, please email your CV and covering letter by completing the application form below by close of business on 3 May 2017.