European Spa Magazine, Journalist
Are you an ambitious business journalist? Do you have passion and enthusiasm for spas, health, fitness, beauty and wellbeing? If so, we’re recruiting and would love to hear from you.
Spa Publishing Ltd is seeking an experienced journalist to write engaging, quality news, features and business content for European Spa magazine, as well as our website and social media channels.
European Spa is a leading international business magazine with a growing readership of high-level spa and wellness professionals and investors. Published bi-monthly in print and digital formats, this pioneering title is a ‘must read’ publication for industry leaders in the UK, Europe and beyond.
This is a full time, permanent role reporting directly to the Editor, based in our attractive Nottingham City Centre office. The position will involve representing the title at events and shows in the UK and Europe. Further opportunities for travel will arise as the position develops.
- To work closely with and provide support to the Editor. To assist with day-to-day editorial production from commissioning to completion.
- To plan, research and produce high-quality, relevant and original news, features and event reports, for both print and online channels.
- To look for editorial opportunities and generate engaging content ideas relevant to the spa, fitness, beauty and wellness industries.
- To prioritise tasks to meet tight deadlines in accordance with the production schedule.
- To play a proactive role in the production process, working with the Production Editor to fact-check, proof and finish pages to a consistently high standard.
- To research and write commissions and briefs for contributors and to research/call in, check and provide images ready for design.
- To carry out phone and face-to-face interviews with industry contributors.
- To represent the Company at UK and global events and conferences, and to build contacts within the industry through effective networking to ensure the commercial success of the title.
- To manage relationships with PR companies and other industry contacts.
- To work proactively with an experienced team.
- To develop and progress creative ideas for brand expansion with the Editor.
- To take on additional responsibilities as and when required, with a view to future progression.
Skills and experience required
- Educated to degree level or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum of five years’ journalist experience.
- Experience of:
- using Adobe InDesign and Photoshop.
- production support and sub-editing work on layouts to improve and finish.
- headline, sell lines, pull quotes and caption writing.
- writing commissions and briefs.
- conducting telephone and face-to face interviews with senior industry influencers and contributors.
- being involved in print and online publishing.
- Exceptional writing skills, both in print and online.
- Excellent news sense, interviewing and copywriting skills.
- Ability to:
- produce consistently high quality work.
- final proof and fact check to a consistently high standard.
- work to tight deadlines, prioritise tasks and arrange work flow in order to meet production schedule.
- build effective relationships with senior industry influencers and contributors, comfortable networking to represent the Company and identify editorial opportunities.
- Impeccable attention to detail and a high standard of accuracy.
- Ability to generate relevant and creative content ideas.
- Social media savvy.
- Strong work ethic.
- Ambitious and self-motivated.
- Smart and well-presented.
- Flexible approach to working hours.
- A willingness to learn new skills and a commitment to ongoing development.
- An awareness of Equal Opportunities.
Send your CV and sample of work to us by completing the application form below.
Closing date: Friday 9 June.
Interviews to take place on: Friday 23 June only.