Scotchwhisky.com, Deputy Editor
5 days left
- Full Time
We are looking to recruit an enthusiastic and creative Deputy Editor to help drive the success of Scotchwhisky.com and cement its position as the world’s leading online whisky magazine.
You will work closely with the Editor to set a dynamic and engaging schedule of content for the magazine and website, manage all social media platforms, and play a key role in events and marketing activities.
You will be responsible for publishing all articles, writing features, reviews and comment, and will coordinate a team of contributors. You will be offered full training in Scotch whisky history, production and tasting if required, although an existing interest in whisky is essential.
The role will be supported by an Editorial Assistant, and some travel to Scotland and overseas to attend press trips should also be expected.
This is a rare opportunity for an experienced journalist looking to make their mark on the thriving world of Scotch whisky while learning from the best in the business.
The team currently includes award-winning whisky writer Dave Broom, and globally renowned spirits writers Becky Paskin and Richard Woodard. The role is based at our modern head office at Park Royal in north-west London, and will report to the Editor.
- Oversee daily publishing of magazine content, including features, interviews and tastings
- Work with the editorial team to generate feature ideas and the publishing schedule
- Commission features and be the main point of contact for all contributors
- Act as the main sub-editor and picture researcher for all features, with assistance from the editorial team where necessary
- Regular writing of features and interviews
- Overseeing all social media communications for Scotchwhisky.com
- Assist the Editor in the general day-to-day operation of the site
- Attend and report on events, including product launches and press trips where necessary
- Sourcing and reporting news from around the Scotch whisky industry
- Conducting interviews with personalities from the whisky industry and popular culture
- Assist in compiling and sending email newsletters
Key Skills & Experience
- Journalism qualification, at least NCTJ or degree level
- Has been a deputy, features or section editor on a print or digital title for at least 2 years
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- An eye for detail and strong subbing skills
- Experience of digital publishing and CMS platforms a distinct advantage
- Ability to lead, organise and effectively manage a team of contributors
- Creative and brimming with content generation ideas
- An entertaining and engaging writing style
- A passion for the drinks industry, and most importantly, whisky
- Equally comfortable at working independently or as part of a team
- Strong project and time management skills
- Enjoy working in a fast-paced environment, with an ability to work calmly under pressure
- Demonstrate a pro-active, can-do attitude
- Ability to multi-task across numerous projects
- A good knowledge of whisky and the whisky industry is a distinct advantage
- Strong social media skills
- Familiarity with Photoshop preferred
Scotchwhisky.com is the world’s leading online whisky magazine. Launched in October 2015, it is an unrivalled resource of information for all whisky enthusiasts from the novice through to the connoisseur. Scotchwhisky.com is part of the Speciality Drinks Group, a multiple award-winning family business with a passion for fine spirits and nearly 50 years of experience in the drinks trade.
Scotchwhisky.com covers all the latest news from the dynamic world of whisky, alongside tasting notes of all new releases, interviews with key whisky personalities, a comprehensive encyclopaedia of all Scotland’s whisky brands and distilleries, and details of global Scotch events and retailers. New sections on whisky investment, a beginner’s guide for newcomers, whisky production videos and a comprehensive bottle library is coming soon.
Speciality Drinks Group
Speciality Drinks is a fast-growing and world-renowned international spirits company. Our retail arm The Whisky Exchange operates an award-winning website along with a flagship shop in Covent Garden.
We also create, blend and bottle new products to sell around the world; we distribute and build brands; we wholesale to the finest bars, restaurants and hotels; we boast an industry-leading auction site; we have an online magazine devoted to Scotch whisky; we organise the world-renowned London Cocktail Week; and we are responsible for the UK's leading Whisky show. We pride ourselves on our imagination, creativity and ability to source and sell fantastic spirits from across the globe.
Being part of the Speciality Drinks Group means you’ll be working with some of the very best people in the drinks industry and be part of a fast-growing team that is passionate about everything we do. We’re a family-owned and managed business and look after everything in-house – from website development, design and marketing to technology, customer service and global distribution.
We’re looking for bright, motivated, creative people who share our passion for excellence, innovation and delivering great customer service. In return we can offer an exciting, fast-moving, varied environment with great opportunities for career progression.
Please apply by sending your CV and covering letter by completing the application form below.
Apply for Scotchwhisky.com, Deputy Editor
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly