BMJ Publishing, Publishing Executive
BMJ is recruiting a Publishing Executive to work on a portfolio of leading specialist medical journals.
This is a varied and busy role that requires good organisational, administration and communication skills in addition to some experience of academic journal publishing.
PURPOSE OF THE JOB:
Support the Associate Publisher to manage a list of leading specialist medical journals (including owned, co-owned and contract titles).
This will involve working with external editorial and internal publishing teams to implement the strategic development of existing and planned journals in print and online, managing relationships with internal and external stakeholders to ensure that editorial and financial targets are met, and deputising for the Associate Publisher as necessary.
The Publishing Executive will report directly to one Associate Publisher but will be expected to provide support to other Associate Publishers on selected journals. This is a varied and busy role that requires good organisational, administration and communication skills.
- Compile, track and analyse key performance metrics and conduct competitor analysis to assist with strategic development of individual journal titles
- Prepare agendas, reports and minutes for editorial and business meetings and follow up on actions in a timely manner
- Present publishing reports and statistics at meetings
- Respond to questions escalated from outsourced editorial offices and provide support to authors and editors, including monitoring and improving peer review processes
- Ensure regular communication with editorial stakeholders to improve engagement
- Keep journal websites refreshed, accurate and relevant for the target audiences
- Work with editors to develop online content, including podcasts, videos, blogs and social media channels
- Assist the marketing team to identify and exploit promotional opportunities, including representing BMJ at external events
- Oversee financial administration, such as payments and invoices
- Oversee the timely publishing of supplements and themed issues
- Assist in the project management of new launches and acquired titles
- Educated to degree level
- Relevant experience in a scholarly publishing environment with experience of journal administration, management and/or production
- Proficient in standard computer packages, especially Microsoft Office or G Suite; experience of WordPress and manuscript submission and peer review software would be desirable
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Proven experience of communicating in a professional manner, both verbally and in writing
- Demonstrable confidence in dealing with external contacts at all levels, including senior academics and society executive officers
- Self motivated with strong organisational skills and a proactive attitude
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability to research information independently
Click 'Apply' now.
BMJ takes pride in its people and is committed to being an equal opportunities employer. We value individuality and therefore welcome all qualified applications from a diverse range of candidates.