ADE, Journalist and Content Editor (Brussels)
ADE is currently looking for a Journalist and Content Editor for the EU’s programme MKS (Methodological and Knowledge Sharing Support Programme) in Brussels, and more specifically for DEVCO’s knowledge sharing platform Capacity4dev (Capacity4dev.eu) which falls within this programme. Capacity4dev.eu is DEVCO’s knowledge sharing community platform for development practitioners.
It has a working membership of over 16,000 people from the European Commission, EU Delegations, Member States, the UN, think tanks and various development organisations from around the world.
Designed as an online resource for sharing information on development issues, its overall objective is to improve the quality of aid and better contribute to the development of capacities.
The majority of activity takes place within the platform’s groups. There are currently more than 200 public and private groups, which act as thematic information repositories. In these groups members share information, upload documents, announce and report on events, and so on.
ADE is looking for a Journalist and Content Editor (including filming and editing video/audio interviews) to work on the Capacity4dev platform and create front-page articles for knowledge sharing purposes, plus other web content i.e. for the groups.
Interviewing and liaising with senior European Commission staff is an important part of this job. A background in development plus communications/journalism/web content development is essential.
- Native English speaker (written English will be tested)
- You hold a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in journalism, communication, international relations or equivalent
- 3 years of experience in drafting articles in English, with at least one year on development cooperation related subjects
- Min 1 year of experience in development cooperation, with international bi-lateral or non-profit field experience desirable
- Conversational French (ability to carry out interviews)
- Awareness of and sensibility to European Union stakeholders and procedures
- Journalist/media or knowledge management/communications background
- Able to identify, create and edit copy for knowledge sharing purposes in English
- Proven HD camera skills
- Proven editing skills on Adobe Premiere Pro
Would be an asset:
- Knowledge of Spanish
- Experience of content management for the web including community management and social media (Twitter, Facebook and YouTube)
- Photography skills
Overview of the key tasks
- The job requires creating front page ‘Voices &Views’ for Capacity4dev.eu. These articles are developed for knowledge sharing purposes, to provide peer-to-peer insight regarding development policy or issues
- The successful candidate will work as an audio visual journalist attending events in Brussels, filming and editing interviews to deliver them as finished pieces, in a timely manner
- He/she will be able to operate alone, and will demonstrate diplomacy and the poise to manage a variety of different filming and interview circumstances
- An important aspect of preparing ‘Voices & Views’ is liaising with the relevant DEVCO units to ensure that the information is current and includes DEVCO input
- You may also be required to publish these on-line
- You will also deal with ad hoc requests from the community group managers and EC staff
- You will be a hard working and willing team player, supporting colleagues with various aspects of the website’s management, which may include communications
- Video editing of material for group use is also required, for example of presentations and trainings
Please note that Voices & Views are not meant to be news broadcasting nor visibility raising/ communications pieces and are created in the interests of capacity development and knowledge sharing.
- Concept, production and delivery of ‘Voices & Views’, including video, photos and/or audio
- Filming and photographing events, and conducting video interviews of colleagues and experts to edit for use on the website
- Assisting the Coordination Team as required on matters relating to website content
- A part time position (4 days/week). Possibility of full-time position to be discussed
- The successful applicant will work within a small team of journalists at ADE’s Brussels office, and work closely with staff in DEVCO
- A challenging job in an international environment and within a company with highly-developed expertise and consultancy experience
- The possibility of developing your skills as a journalist and content editor
Please send your CV and cover letter in English by completing the application form below to the attention of Donatienne Désirant by 7 July 2017. An answer will be given only to short-listed candidates.