Best, Celebrity Editor
MAIN PURPOSE OF THE JOB:
To head up the magazine’s key department – the celebrity desk. To manage the team and ensure we bring in the best celebrity news and features in the business. Based mainly in the office during working hours you will be solely responsible for generating the main cover idea.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- To deliver the main cover stories for best on a weekly basis and deal with the potential legal problems that this will involve.
- Understand what makes a celebrity story in best and to be fully aware of the content of the opposition.
- To originate celebrity stories by speaking to celebrities, agents, photographers, writers, and other celebrity contacts.
- To generate celebrity ideas for the daily conference, and at other times if requested.
- To write, edit and commission celebrity stories and to write copy, headlines, sells and captions.
SCOPE OF THE ROLE:
- To oversee a team of journalists, including freelancers, so experience in the area is preferred,
- As celebrity editor you will be permanently ‘on’ bringing in new stories:
- You will be expected to offer up cover ideas for best every week
- You will attend or get your team to attend parties, premieres, launches and other celebrity events out of normal office hours, as required.
- You will also be expected to check news developments at weekends and out of office.
- Proven experience working on a national newspaper in the showbiz department or on a classic magazine.
- Experience of commissioning features and contracts.
- Previous experience of directly managing a team of in house journalists.
- Excellent contacts with PRs, agents, photographers, writers and celebrities.
- Fully versed with legal and IPSO issues.
- Already a skilled writer, with experience of editing other people’s copy and headline writing.
- A good clear communicator as the role also involved liaising with other departments in the magazine.
- Experience of managing on a tight editorial budget.
- A good nose for stories and commercial acumen as to the trends going on in the business.
Apply by clicking 'Apply' now.