Virgin Media, Communications Manager
This is an excellent opportunity to deliver highly effective media relations and communications activity at one of the most dynamic companies in the digital economy. As a Communications Manager, you will play a vital role in driving advocacy and awareness and, from time to time, you will defend Virgin Media’s reputation.
The role will have a core focus on achieving positive media coverage through the production and delivery of highly effective media relations plans.
As part of this, as a Communications Manager, you will own and manage specific communications projects. To achieve this you will have a number of key responsibilities:
- Owning and managing specific communications projects.
- Drafting a range of material including press releases, briefing notes and statements.
- Managing an external communications grid of activities, ensuring timely and accurate record of information.
- Following and analysing the news agenda, taking advantage of opportunities to generate good PR and identify emerging risks.
- Taking responsibility for key press office systems such as news cuttings, news wire services, external databases and internal lists of media contacts.
- Acting as a first point of contact for media enquiries, responding in a professional, accurate and timely manner.
- Proactively assisting to maintain Virgin Media’s reputation by responding swiftly and accurately to complaints, seeking resolutions to negate potentially negative press.
- Forging strong working relationships with key journalists, promoting Virgin Media and its key messages to the media.
- Working closely with a range of teams across the business (predominantly Care, Product, Sales and corporate teams) to ensure consistency of messaging.
- Working closely with Virgin Media’s Digital team to ensure timely publication of material on the corporate website.
Everyone within our Communications Team holds a strong delivery focus, collaborative approach, and the ability to think critically to set priorities. If you join us as a Communications Manager we will need you to have:
- 2-3 years relevant media relations/PR experience, from either an agency or in-house background.
- A sound understanding of the TMT (Technology Media Telecom) sector.
- A strong delivery-focus, with the ability to turn around quality work swiftly.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with proven ability to forge effective relationships with key stakeholders at all levels.
- Confidence and pro-activity – most importantly the ability to identify opportunities ahead of time and make informed recommendations to key stakeholders.
So why Virgin Media? We are delivering the biggest investment in the UK’s digital infrastructure for over a decade, with a £3bn programme to extend our ultrafast broadband network and brilliant Virgin TV to 17 million homes and businesses. We’re challenging our competitors with the best services and the fastest speeds.
Join and you’ll be part of the Virgin Media family. You can trust us to do the right thing by you. We’re a great place to work – and we offer impressive benefits too. Get ready for a generous holiday allowance, contributory pension, performance related bonus and, of course, discounts on our fantastic mobile, broadband and cable.
Come and be part of something special. Join us!