Editor - Features, Special Content & Live Journalism, The Wall Street Journal - NY
The Wall Street Journal is a global news organization that provides leading news, information, commentary and analysis. The Wall Street Journal engages readers across print, digital, mobile, social, and video.
Building on its heritage as the preeminent source of global business and financial news, the Journal includes coverage of U.S. and world news, politics, arts, culture, lifestyle, sports, and health.
It holds 36 Pulitzer Prizes for outstanding journalism. The Wall Street Journal is published by Dow Jones, a division of News Corp (NASDAQ: NWS, NWSA; ASX: NWS, NWSLV).
Oversee and develop programming for our growing live journalism and events business. Manage Off Duty, Review and Mansion weekly sections, Journal Reports and the WSJ. Magazine.
In addition, oversee and manage internal newsroom initiatives at the discretion of the Editor in Chief and work closely with commercial partners to develop them.
- Ensure the quality of our weekly feature coverage and execute the WSJ editorial mission and strategy in those areas as laid out by the Editor in Chief.
- Work with the Audience Insight team, the Digital Strategist, and the Digital and Print editors to create and implement a publication strategy that grows the reach of our live journalism, while upholding the standards placed on all our journalism and journalists.
- Work with our corporate colleagues in the Membership and Sales departments to explore projects and revenue opportunities.
- Fully digitize our features content.
- Work closely with the newsroom on live journalism.
- Inspire team and our journalists to produce their best work on all platforms.
- Contribute by attitude, example and encouragement to a culture of creativity, enthusiasm, motivation, ownership and professionalism.
- Manage, motivate and develop staff to consistently produce high-quality work.
- Set clear objectives for direct reports, cascading effectively down.
- Set agenda and make and articulate clear decisions.
- Set standards for individual and team performance – ongoing and in regular performance reviews.
- Contribute to the shaping and management of staff-development programs.
- Identify high-potential members of the team and ensure they are effectively developed.
- Under the direction of the Managing Editor: Manage the budgets of the various sections and track and meet budget goals (traveling budgets, fees for external services, equipment etc.).
- Deep understanding of the brand values and mission of The Wall Street Journal -- digital and print -- and how our journalism should be selected, executed and presented in line with those values.
- Deep understanding of the live-journalism business and opportunities.
- Deep understanding of the audience and membership structure, and how to use audience research and analytics to continually refine this understanding.
- Know how to select and present the best, most relevant journalism in all formats. Understand modern and innovative journalism and storytelling techniques, with an especially deep understanding of magazine and news-feature storytelling
- Deep understanding of platform-specific storytelling characteristics
- Lead and inspire our newsroom teams to come up with ideas.
- Know how to delegate, brief and give constructive feedback. Excellent communication skills.
- Sound organizational abilities: setting agendas, managing projects, maintaining a slate of forward planning that is crucial for implementing the coverage area's strategy.
- Innovative and creative thinker, leader and manager.
Position in hierarchy / reporting lines
- Reporting to: Editor in Chief
- Direct reports: WSJ. Magazine Editor, Off Duty Editor, Review Editor, Mansion Editor, Live Journalism program manager
Major internal working relationships
- Analytics & Audience team, Digital News Editor, Video/Visuals, Product Development, various other newsroom team depending on initiative and projects. Also: Membership, Sales.
Click 'Apply'. Applications should include a resume and cover letter.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets.