TalkingRetail.com / Independent Retail News, Web Editor
- Driving and managing all editorial elements of the TalkingRetail.com website and other associated digital products from the Metropolis retail portfolio such as email newsletters and iPad apps. These responsibilities also encompass liaison with all internal and external companies/departments that relate to this role.
- Writing news and product news stories for the website and Independent Retail News Magazine, maintaining a rolling online news service and regular newsletter/ communications programme. Uploading content from magazine and tailoring this to the digital environment.
- Managing, maintaining and improving social media links to TalkingRetail.com such as Facebook and Twitter in order to drive awareness, traffic and user engagement.
- Taking lead role in monitoring site analytics to identify trends and areas of focus/improvement. Helping to drive improvements based on these insights in order to grow traffic and reader engagement.
- Helping shape digital strategy, initiating and contributing ideas and driving changes and improvements as necessary. Liaison with the web team to realise enhancements to the site as required.
- Representing the TalkingRetail/IRN brand at sector events such as conferences and product launches, taking an active ambassadorial role.
- Liaising with the commercial manager to help develop and implement revenue-generating opportunities on the website and associated digital projects.
Key Tasks Include:
- Working with the editor/features editor/content editor to source news stories for the website on a daily basis (excluding weekends), using appropriate news websites, email newslists, press releases, direct contacts and other relevant sources.
- Uploading regular and timely news stories on to the website in line with website strategy, ensuring factual accuracy of stories, legal compliance, good grammar, spelling and readability as well as search-engine friendliness.
- Liaison with magazine editorial and production to re-purpose suitable content from magazine in line with agreed strategy.
- Sourcing and sizing images and adding them to stories wherever possible, maintaining image library within content management system
- Liasing with Content Editor to ensure regular flow of Product News stories is posted on site, subbing product news articles as required and adding SEO-friendly headlines and identifying tags. Coordinating with Content Editor and others to ensure stories are uploaded correctly and have images added as appropriate and are correctly tagged.
- Accurate and consistent tagging of stories with appropriate keywords, addition of internal and internal links in line with website strategy. Managing tagging taxonomy.
- Liaising with third-party content suppliers (eg on TalkingPoints blog) to ensure they provide content in line with editorial policies, sub-editing this in line with house style and specific briefs and adding suitable headlines, standfirsts, links, images etc.
- Editing material to adhere to SEO best practice and style guide
- Moderating user comments if required, in line with legal constraints, acceptability and editorial policies
- Managing selection and presentation of articles on site where necessary, eg choosing stories for “Editor’s choice” section
- Identifying any bugs that need fixing, enhancements needed to the web products and raising these with the relevant web/IT support departments.
- Creating and maintaining online polls on the website if required
- Liaison with events team to ensure timely posting of materials relating to retail portfolio events (currently Local Shop Qs, QFAs, Retail Industry Awards, Quality Drink Awards). Lead responsibility for RIAs Twitter feed.
- Helping develop new content areas for the digital products as and when required and ensuring appropriate content is completed to specified deadlines.
- Other ad hoc editorial tasks as may be required from time to time.
- NB. This is not seen as an exhaustive list of duties.
- The individual needs to be pro-active, highly disciplined, well-organised and capable of managing the expectations of both internal and external customers. Good written and oral communication skills are essential, as is the requirement for clear
- Knowledge and understanding of WordPress and other programs needed to upload stories and images.
- Flexibility, adaptability, able to work on own initiative. The individual needs to be able to take the initiative and instigate improvements to the digital products, with reference to the group editor and other interested parties as necessary, in order to build site traffic and user engagement.
- Strong news sense, news writing and subbing skills, interviewing, headline writing, proof-reading and editing, content management skills, picture editing skills
- Strong social media skills, including Facebook and Twitter.
Applicants should send their CV and a covering letter of no more than 450 words by completing the application form below.