European Climate Foundation, Climate Science Communications Manager
About the European Climate Foundation
The European Climate Foundation (ECF) was established in 2008 as a major philanthropic initiative to foster the development of a low-carbon society and help Europe to play an even stronger international leadership role to mitigate climate change.
The foundation works through sectoral, cross-cutting and regional initiatives and collaborates with a wide network of partners to advance progress towards this shared goal.
About the role
The ECF’s Strategic Communications Team is currently accepting applications for the role of Climate Science Communications Manager to work as part of the ECF’s international strategic communications team.
The successful candidate will help provide strategic communications capacity to a wide array of partners, including scientists, researchers, academics and campaign groups. They will also strengthen the scientific fluency of the team to allow it to better navigate the developing media debate around climate science and climate policy.
This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced and highly driven communications professional with the ambition to make a difference and play an active role in helping speed up the low carbon transition internationally.
Duties and responsibilities
The Climate Science Communications Manager will be responsible for:
- Developing and managing communications strategies around key climate science initiatives and events.
- Undertaking proactive media work in this space, including developing and producing materials, supporting efforts to develop new groups of spokespeople who can talk to scientific debates, and being available to brief journalists or provide guidance to the science and science policy community on working with the media, as required.
- Serving as a liaison with the scientific community, working with colleagues to engage with the science policy community and the advocacy community on climate science, including communications and policy aspects of the 1.5 degree target, and ambition in addressing climate change.
- Staying up-to-date with the latest science and policy developments in the field of climate science, with a particular focus on the challenge of meeting the climate targets contained in the Paris Agreement, including land use, adaptation, climate impacts, negative emissions and geoengineering.
- Developing products and processes to strengthen the scientific fluency of the rest of the team and helping position the team’s contribution to these debates carefully, guided by strong scientific knowledge and the instincts of a smart strategist.
- Participating in coalition work with network partners on other topics relevant to the climate space, particularly as they relate to meeting the climate targets contained in the Paris Climate Agreement.
- Monitoring, evaluation and reporting on communications efforts.
- A genuine interest in the mission and values of the ECF.
- 5 or more years of relevant professional communications experience.
- A demonstrated familiarity with climate science, and familiarity with discussions and debates around climate mitigation, adaptation, impacts and policy.
- The ability to liaise and negotiate conversations with a wide range of stakeholders, including scientists, campaigners and journalists.
- Excellent communications skills.
- The strong multi-disciplinary skill set necessary to flourish in a fast-paced and wide-ranging work environment.
- Outstanding English language skills, with a track record of producing engaging and impactful communications materials.
- A strategic thinker with proven ability to independently develop and implement robust communications plans.
- Existing relationships with key stakeholders (desirable).
What we can offer you
- The unique opportunity to work as part of a highly dynamic, international group of individuals who combine their passion to make a difference with ambition and a rigorous and results-oriented approach to work.
- A flexible work environment and the space to shape and continuously develop your role.
- Fixed term 2 year contract (with view to extend subject to funding)
- A competitive salary package (relevant to location)
Start date: As soon as possible
How to apply
Please click 'Apply' now.
Candidates need to be in the possession of a work permit for the work location in case applicable. Telephone calls will not be forwarded to the recruitment team. Due to the high number of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. All applications will be treated confidentially.
Deadline for applications: 3 September 2017
Early applications are encouraged, and an appointment may be made before the deadline if the right candidate is found.