Business Traveller, Chief Sub-Editor - Maternity Cover
Business Traveller is looking for an experienced Chief Sub-Editor to cover for maternity leave. The post is full time, five days per week, based in our Central London offices in Mayfair.
The candidate should have good organisational and proofreading skills, have experience of running a flatplan and have a sense of humour.
The candidate will already have had a Chief Sub or Deputy Chief Sub position on a consumer magazine. He or she will have a qualification in post-graduate journalism or recognised professional subbing course and be fully competent in the use of Adobe InDesign to a high level. In-depth knowledge of repro and print processes.
He or she will be able to:
- Check copy grammatically, factually, legally and for sense according to the layout and house style, to maintain the highest standards of production and accuracy.
- Sub-edit features in the magazine and rewrite to maintain standards, in consultation with commissioning editors, and oversee edits and revisions by the content team.
- Take responsibility for liaising with content team and contributors to ensure high quality standards to a detailed level at all stages of the editorial production process.
- Proof and sign off all editorial pages, maintaining the best possible balance between editorial quality, deadlines and budgets.
- Take responsibility for the standards of accuracy and the implementation of style throughout the magazine.
- Take ultimate responsibility for deciding the changes made to all editorial pages during proofing.
- Work closely with the Editor/Art Director to plan and schedule editorial production and workflow for each issue.
- Lay out and manage the flatplan for each issue, and circulate updates to the team as required.
- Liaise with advertising team, other international editions and other teams internally and externally
- Subject to agreement with the Editor, book and manage freelance sub-editors according to monthly requirements and budgetary constraints, and ensure they meet the required standard.
- Knowledge of magazine law (e.g., copyright and libel).
Apply by completing the application form below.