Professional Engineering, Technology News and Social Media Writer
Caspian Media is looking for a talented Technology News & Social Media Writer, to promote our magazine’s content on various social media channels, engage with the audience on different digital platforms, and write technology articles to the highest standards.
Professional Engineering is the well-known magazine and website of the prestigious Institution of Mechanical Engineers. But PE is not a dry, technical publication – our stories are about cutting-edge tech that anyone would get excited about.
We need a sharp, social-media savvy journalist who, working at our London office, will write news stories as part of the editorial team on a daily basis, and occasionally features.
You will be able to spot fascinating ideas on 3D printing, aerospace, connected cars, and so on - and write about these topics in an interesting and engaging way.
You’ll be writing clever, punchy headlines for online (using SEO), and for print. Experience working at a technology or science publication (print or online) is preferred.
And then there is the social side. You will promote PE’s news, features, and opinion articles using a variety of social media platforms, particularly Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and LinkedIn.
You'll improve and further develop our social media strategy, provide guidance for the team on best practice, and identify new opportunities for PE on social media platforms.
You’ll be coming up with clever ideas on the use of platforms such as Instagram and Snapchat, and you will constantly aim to identify new audiences that PE should reach.
Working with the editor in chief, you will develop and implement a strategy to reach our audience and monitor the performance of that project.
You MUST be an experienced journalist who knows how to write stories, and you must be comfortable using tools such as Hootsuite to manage campaigns. You also must be very comfortable in using web analytics.
You will, of course, need an exceptional understanding of the social media landscape, as well as extensive experience in managing social media accounts and in executing social projects.
You will be able to use social media creatively and responsibly, will be willing to examine the data to find out who our followers are, and craft updates and campaigns to make our content shine and boost our readership.
About the role
- Promote our content on various social media channels
- Engage with the audience and find new audiences using various new ways
- Distribute content to new audiences
- Develop new methods of content promotion and audience engagement
- Upload our content onto the PE website and the app
- Write daily news stories for the website, when required, and occasional features
- Write SEO-friendly headlines
- Contribute to the continuous improvement of our content
- Attend meetings, conferences and other events both in the UK and internationally, when required
- Contribute to shaping the editorial process, taking into account new audiences – such as identifying new sources of stories, finding topics and themes that will resonate with a social audience, commissioning content for use on social platforms
- Provide lots of analytics
- At least two years’ experience of producing journalistic content for an online audience
- A degree in journalism (or equivalent) - Essential
- A deep understanding of social media, experience in producing content across a range of different platforms and in growing engaged communities – Essential
- Excellent knowledge of online analytics and ability to act on data insights
- Exceptional writing and editing skills
- A grasp of scientific/technical subject matter is desirable OR a strong passion for technology and/or science
- Excellent communication and team-working skills
- Enthusiastic, resourceful and creative approach to the digital media space
- Ability to develop and implement a growth strategy for editorial and social
- A strong understanding of the web and how best to promote content
- Deep knowledge or passion in digital trends in media and emerging technologies
- Excellent editorial judgement
- Strong attention to detail and an ability to work within established deadlines
- Ability to plan and manage various deadlines and priorities
Caspian is an expert B2B content creator and award-winning events business. We own realbusiness.co.uk, realdeals.eu.com and businessadvice.co.uk.
Besides working on our own titles, we also love creating content for our clients. Here we work hard but like to have fun along the way and we believe that diversity is better for business.
We’re based right next to the River Thames, only a two-minute walk from Imperial Wharf station and one train stop away from Clapham Junction.
People and benefits
The right candidate would understand and share our core values which include agility, creativity and customer focus. Our valued staff enjoy the following perks:
- 25 days’ leave per calendar year
- 3 additional days during the Xmas period when we close the office (we won’t take these from your annual entitlement)
- Your birthday off for free
- Access to childcare voucher scheme
- Access to bike loan scheme (up to £1000)
- Auto-enrolment salary sacrifice pension scheme
- We leave at 5pm on Fridays
- Life Assurance once probation passed
- Subscription to Perkbox for tons of discounts and freebies – retail, fashion, health & wellbeing
- Fresh fruit daily
- All-staff catch-ups with the CEO every last Friday of the month
- Regular get-togethers and inter-team mingling
To apply, please complete the application form below with your CV, a cover letter clearly stating your salary expectations AND a couple of examples of your published news stories to the Chief Editor Katia Moskvitch.
Apply for Professional Engineering, Technology News and Social Media Writer
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly