Evening Standard, Tech and Science Journalist - 6 Month Fixed Term Contract
4 days left
- Full Time
ESI Media is an innovative multichannel media business, with a cross-platform reach of 23.1m. Our brands include the London Evening Standard, The Independent and London Live. We have offices based in the UK and US.
The ES Digital News team
The Standard’s digital news team works alongside the newspaper’s specialist reporters in an integrated newsroom covering breaking news, politics, health, transport, education and crime. The team, of around a dozen reporters, delivers quality cross-platform content for a global urban audience.
A new position, this role will require you to build an audience which demands the latest and most compelling content in the tech and science fields, from the launch of new gadgets to the launch of spacecraft and the latest scientific breakthroughs. Your stories must inform, entertain and engage the audience via text, videos, pictures and graphics.
- You will be an experienced online journalist with a track record of producing vibrant, exclusive and engaging content
- You will have a passion for and expansive knowledge of tech and science-related subjects
- You will be a team player but also able to organise and prioritise your own workload
- You will be a strong ideas person, an excellent communicator and have a never say can’t attitude
- Keep abreast of developments in tech and science arenas
- Research where necessary new products and theories/breakthroughs
- Be aware of new launches and arrange to road-test products before generally availablee
- Alert newsdesk to story opportunities and pitch ideas
- Work closely with colleagues in news and features to share ideas and knowledge and to establish yourself as the specialist in these subject areas
- Trawl relevant websites and other content providers for story ideas, in particular video-led
- Produce stories daily which will build an authority to make the site the go-to destination for tech and science content
Skills and experience
- Experience of working as an integral part of a 24/7 digital newsroom
- Ability to write articles quickly and accurately and in the style and tone of the brand
- Experience covering breaking news, feature writing, analysis and reviews
- Flair for spotting trending stories and covering them with an intelligent and distinctive touch
- Good understanding of how to use social media and SEO strategies to maximize stories’ impact
- Strong headline writing and communication skills
- An understanding and appreciation of the Standard’s target audience
- Flexibility to cover a variety of working days and hours, including weekends
- Ability to work under pressure and prioritise workload
- A strong personal social media presence
- A journalism qualification
- Continuous Improvement – Works in a smart, flexible and focussed way, is open to change and suggests ideas for improvements to the way things are done.
- Collaboration – Builds and maintains positive and supportive working relationships with colleagues. Helps to create an inclusive and professional work environment.
- Building Capability – Keeps own knowledge and skill set current and evolving and looks for ways to continue learning to support the achievement of business objectives.
- Quality Service – Delivers high quality and efficient service and takes account of the diverse customer needs and requirements when looking at ways to improve service quality.
- Responsive Delivery - Works to agreed business goals and objectives and deals with challenges in a constructive and responsive way. Takes personal responsibility for quality of outputs.
To apply, please send an up to date CV along with a full covering letter with salary expectations by completing the application form below. Closing date is Friday 29 September.
Apply for Evening Standard, Tech and Science Journalist - 6 Month Fixed Term Contract
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly